Saturday, November 19, 2022

Web of Wisdom

"Why did you do all this for me?” he asked. “I don’t deserve it. I’ve never done anything for you.”

“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that.” 



We just read the classic children's book Charlotte's Web to the kids. I still remember having this book on my shelf as a child (and not sure if it made it here in a shipment of books from my parents as I couldn't find it so had to get it from the library!) but hadn't read it as an adult. 

Wow!

I definitely think it's one of the best books of all time and am so thankful my kids now (finally!) know the story.  The writing is so sweet and the vocabulary of Charlotte Cavatica, the spider, is great.  I found myself choked up at the end, not having read it in decades, and I think it was equally touching for my highly sensitive child, Iver.

We actually did "family movie night" on Friday with the DVD (thanks, Mom and Dad!) of the classic 1973 film (there are some newer versions, too), which I recall watching many times as a child. Both kids (and we parents) were enthralled. 


The words, sweet message of selflessness, friendship, and the lessons about the transience of life really resonated with me (and, to some degree, the kids. Niall just loves talking about "Templeton" the binge-eating rat). If you haven't re-read Charlotte's Web in a while, I suggest that you do!  

No comments: