Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Muted Middle-aged Celebration!

I rarely make much of my birthdays, which has continued into middle age (although my good friend Kellie did actually urge me to do something for my fortieth last year).

Never one to put much work or time/money into beauty products, I have now accepted that it may be time because I'm a middle-aged mom of two.  My sister-in-law Katherine has helped me curate my "mid-life skin care regimen," which greets me on the bathroom counter (eye cream, retinol, vitamin C serum, midnight oil, and moisturizer).  I am resigned to my random (and multiplying) silver/gray strands of hair and have given up on plucking them, but wondering if I could ever be high-maintenance enough to consider hair-dye.


This weekend, I had a low-key true old-lady evening on Saturday of tea and conversation with Kellie and Jenna, after kids were in bed, and before we were sleepy for our own bedtimes (of ~10 p.m.). 

On Sunday, our family went to see a local musical theater production of The Wizard of Oz, which Iver has loved since he was little. Niall was also enraptured, although he's never seen the film. Our friend's daughter was supposed to be a munchkin but alas she was ill. We still enjoyed it immensely!

 


The kids made me some lovely birthday art.   (The giraffe is my favorite animal).

From Niall:
 
I opened a few nice gifts including earrings, books, t-shirt, cards, and a special laptop screen to make my home workstation a double-monitor one.  I was on OB call on my birthday and delivered one baby on it and one JUST after midnight, despite the mom's best pushing efforts, which was pretty neat. My co-workers decorated my desk wildly at work.  The kids enjoyed some dessert (macarons) in my honor after dinner cooked by Kelvin which, thankfully, I could be home for.  I loved the messages via email, text, and FB that I received! 

Until next year's muted celebration!

No comments: