
Okay, now onto the cold. As you know, I'm kind of a wimp. I complain a lot (but maybe not as much as Wendi does!) about the cold. She recently recounted some "cold" anecdote from EVB about snow (brushed from the top of the car) still being present, by the floormat, days later because it just doesn't thaw! Other things recently that have been getting me about the cold (and it hasn't even been that bitter-- i.e. teens and maybe even 20) include, firstly: my wet (showered) hair freezing out straight from my head when it sticks out even slightly from the hat I wear when I walk to clinic in the mornings. It thaws quite quickly, but this is just weird, and not very cute. It can't be good to have hair icicles every day.
Another thing is when the car window freezes so that it cannot be rolled down. This is really annoying when one wants to just quickly return library books at the drive-up book drop or get a parking ticket (or go to a drive-through bank!) and you have to open the door, get out of the car, do your business, and then come back.... At least I haven't had to pay any tolls when my car is in this frozen state. That would be really annoying. Almost as annoying as missing when I throw quarters with my left hand. Today, I went to fill gas because I know that it's not good to get too low when it's this cold. I couldn't get the gas tank door to pop open. Whether it was rusted or frozen shut is debatable, but, in any case, I had to get someone to help me (prying it open while I hit the "pop" button inside the car).
Okay, that's it on raw cold. Onto running in the cold, which is something I've also never been a fan of. Recall a posting ("Winter in MN") from November (and yes, it is for sure still winter now!) in which I lamented the freezing of my ipod on a fairly short run. I don't think I have really gone running when it has been much below 30. Nose hairs and digits freezing as well as lungs hurting is not my idea of a great time. However, on Friday, I bumped into Lisa, a friend of mine from church, and we started talking about running. Running in the cold.
So, yesterday morning, we went for about a 4-5 mile loop around Silver Lake. It was in the teens. But I survived. It really wasn't too bad when we got moving! Although it really feels much warmer in the darker hours (due to lack of wind currents-- I was not making this up!), even with our daylight and a bit of wind, I didn't die. Of course, I was wearing leggings, sweatpants, a long-sleeved T-shirt, fleece, hoodie, a hat, and gloves. Good thing we didn't go today, when I think it was 2 degrees.
I talked to Lisa a bit about marathon-running. There are several in this area around May- June, which might be too hectic to try with graduation, weddings, moving etc. But I'm not even sure about the training. I don't really like to run two days in a row because my joints start to hurt (and that's not solely because of my shoes because I recently changed them!). How would I ever do 26.2 miles? Sometimes (and I think I remember Lesley saying this when she and David were training for their marathon a couple of years ago), I think some people (i.e. me) are just not built for running. I think I could do a half-marathon without too much trouble. But I just don't know. Lisa suggested doing more strength training of my lower extremities (I really do none now; in fact, I didn't really lift anything until a couple of years ago but now do some shoulder and upper body stuff), which could help with my knees. We'll see. Perhaps I may train for some distance race in a warmer city where I will move this summer. But, for now, I may be doing a good deal of running in the cold. Lisa and I have another running date tomorrow morning, when it is still dark....
No comments:
Post a Comment