I did not drink any coffee yesterday. Neither did I imbibe any caffeinated tea or soda (note that I did not say "pop"). And I cannot believe that I was
soooo well rested that I just "didn't need the sleep." However, I had major trouble sleeping last night, i.e. I woke up every 2 hours or so. When the clock read 1:51 a.m., I was sure that it was wrong and that more time had passed than that. Generally, this makes me thrilled that I have "more time to sleep"; however, I woke up again a couple of hours later and was less than thrilled. When, the next time I looked, my alarm read 4:15, I was sure my clock batteries had gone dead and I went in search of my cell phone to recheck the time which I confirmed was, indeed, correct. I lay in bed until about 5:15 or so, at which time I thought about getting up and going to the gym. But I somehow dozed off again and awoke about 20 minutes before my alarm went off around 7. It was not a fun night. I know that I really take sleep for granted. For someone like me who is consistently asleep about 45 seconds after my head hits the pillow (or couch cushion, etc... :)),
not being able to sleep just drives me crazy. I don't know how people can struggle with insomnia night after night, for one night of it just about killed me.
I was wondering what the culprit was.... and, finally, it hit me! EVB had brought over coffee ice cream to the Kits' so we could do our own home Cold Stone with crushed oreos and all. I had no idea if there was enough caffeine in ice cream to do it, but here's what I found out online (
Caffeine-related disorders):
The caffeine content of various food items and medications is as follows:
- Brewed coffee, 8-oz cup: 135–150 mg
- Instant coffee, 8-oz cup: 95 mg
- Powdered cappuccino beverage, 8-oz cup: 45–60 mg
- Tea brewed from leaves or bag, 8-oz cup: 50 mg
- Iced tea from mix, 8-oz glass: 25–45 mg
- Snapple iced tea, 8-oz glass: 21 mg
- Mountain Dew, 8-oz glass: 38 mg
- Dr. Pepper, 8-oz. glass: 28 mg
- Diet cola, 8-oz glass: 31 mg
- Root beer, 8-oz glass: 16 mg
- Coffee ice cream, 8-oz serving: 60–85 mg
- Coffee yogurt, 8-oz serving: 45 mg.
- Dark chocolate candy bar, 1.5 oz: 31 mg
- NoDoz, regular strength, 1 tablet: 100 mg
- NoDoz, maximum strength, 1 tablet: 200 mg
- Excedrin, 2 tablets: 130 mg
Well, I definitely had more than one serving of coffee ice cream. Maybe even more than two. So there you have it-- a late afternoon dose of more than a cup of coffee (more than 3 Mountain Dews!). JB also had trouble sleeping, so I think my theory is confirmed. Next time, we will have to have a different flavor--that is, if any of us want to get some rest (and so Wendi can partake too!).
No comments:
Post a Comment