Monday, January 29, 2007

Timber Lodge

Saturday night, Rachel, Hans, EVB, Sam, and I got together at Timber Lodge Steakhouse in Rochester. I certainly hadn't had any steak for a while (although, after reading that Fast Food Nation book, I wasn't sure I'd ever eat beef again...), and I know EVB and Sam are also big fans, so we were thrilled to spend some time with the soon-to-be (well, in a year or so!) Sviggums and have some good beef. The beef was indeed quite good. The service, however, was something else. Basically, the main telling conversation of the night went something like this:

Erin: I'll have the 8-ounce Viking steak, please.
Waitress: How would you like that cooked?
Erin: Medium.
Waitress: Soup or salad?
Erin: What kinds of soup do you have?
Waitress: Wild rice and Clam Chowder.
Erin: I'll have a salad.
Waitress: What kind of dressing?
Erin: What kinds do you have?
Waitress: We have thirteen dressings!
Erin: Could you tell me what they are?
Waitress: Um.... you want me to name all of them?!
Erin (face getting red): Actually, yes.
Waitress: Well.. we have the basic ones. You know, ranch, italian, thousand island, caesar, raspberry vinaigrette...
Erin (in her head): That's only five.
Erin (aloud): I guess I'll have the raspberry.
Waitress: Potato or vegetable?
Erin: Potato.
Waitress: What kind?
Erin (somewhat apprehensively, expecting another bite-your-head-off response): What kind do you have?
Waitress: (Big sigh). They're listed on the menu.
Erin (in her head): Oh. Unlike the dressings.
Erin (aloud): I guess I'd like the garlic mashed.
Erin (after the waitress left): That was the most insulting waitress I have had in years!! Don't you guys think so? That is terrible service. She is getting NO TIP from me. You guys shouldn't give her tip either.

Although we (well, really only Erin) had some trouble getting water glasses filled in a timely fashion, it was a good overall meal after that encounter. It was fun to catch up before Hans headed to Jacksonville to do his Medicine subI.

Here are some pictures from the night (courtesy of Rachel):

Lot of eye problems in this one (Hans recuperating from an elbow to the eye, Sam apparently taking a brief nap but having a nice dream) although EVB looks good (HOT).

The girls (a.k.a. Eye Candy :) )

Yay! Sam opened his eyes! :)



Anyway, like I said... despite the service, it was still a fun time. I hope Erin has cooled down by now :) Perhaps you want to ask her how much she left for a tip...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE making the blog!! :-)

TAV said...

Well, we'll just have to hang out a lot then :) Maybe you should start a blog, Rachel!

Anonymous said...

EVB said...
Ha ha . . that is exactly how the conversation went. I remember bad service at places in the past, but I can't remember the last time someone was simply so rude. At least my meal was less expensive this way, although I hope I didn't consume any spit (right Sam?).

Sofi said...

Hi Tara,

You don't know me, I'm a 4th year med student at Stanford. I stumbled across your blog a couple of days ago while searching for info on the UC Davis FP/OB program. Your blog is so interesting, I was hooked! You have such an interesting life. Anyhow, you inspired me to start my own blog. Right now is in a very rudimentary state. I would appreciate any suggestions as someone who is technologically challenged. Best wishes.
Sofi