Sunday, November 19, 2006

Winter in MN

I'm not big into talking about the weather. And after surviving three (and a half if you count this one right now!) winters (and that's three too long) here in the North, I think I'm fairly tough (although of course people have told me things like "When I was a kid in Minnesota, we had to walk to school in 2 feet of snow when it was 20 below [and uphill both ways]". This is why my Dad moved away and never looked back. During the winter, I don't typically check to see what the high or low for the day is going to be. I know it's likely going to require a coat and, frankly, it really is not going to matter. I'm currently trying to figure out whether I would trade the cold and sun for less-cold but overcast/rainy weather in Oregon or Washington, which is what their winters bring (Kristen says YES, it's a no-brainer).

Here is a picture of MN in winter (although this is a pretty one, of Lake Superior by Duluth)




Now before you get sidetracked by the pretty winter scene, focus again. Back to the winter blog. Some things just get to you. This morning, for example. Perhaps it is just a sign that one should NOT be outside running in November in Minnesota. But I'm trying not to let weather stop me. However, my ipod froze today. Unlike my dear (although crazy) friend Molly, I am not a marathoner by any means. I just went for a little jog today. But my ipod, which was fully charged prior to my setting out, shut down halfway through my run because the "battery" went out. This is what one might expect from leaving a phone or something in a cold car overnight. But from 30 minutes of being outside in the morning??? This is nuts!!! The other thing which I tell my friends elsewhere who complain about it being "cold" is.... It is not truly cold until you know what it feels like to have your nose hairs frozen. This is not a pleasant feeling.
And I never knew I had Raynaud's disease (or even what that was!) until I moved here. I have major vasospasm in the arteries to my fingers, which turn white and stay white for a long time after being outside or even touching a cold soda (I almost said "pop" there but caught myself!).
So that's all I have to say about the weather. I love sitting in my toasty apartment drinking.... hot water. For those of you who didn't know that I do that, it is indeed true. And works quite well, thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tara,
I would just like to point out that Tony called me blinking-CRAZY for jogging this morning in mid-40 degree weather... wonder what he'd say about you running in those single digits!!

TAV said...

Laura--
Tell Tony I want to know why he wasn't out there with you!!!! :) Slacker man!