Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The big 2-5

This seems like a big birthday! A good friend pointed out to me that it isn't until I enter the 26-30 bracket that things really change. But it still feels like a big milestone. I guess there were things that I always thought I would have done or been by the time I was 25. But, as another friend mentioned to me, I guess I have another whole year to do them, for it isn't until I'm 26 that the coach turns into a pumpkin :).

I have been struggling a bit emotionally recently. And wondering about my purpose,where I'm headed, etc. How successful have I been? Have I failed at the things that are important? I am reminded of one of my all-time favorite movies, It's a Wonderful Life (SEE IT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY-- you can borrow it from me!), where George Bailey wonders what everything would be like if he had never been born... But he is reassured that "no man is a failure who has friends." And I've been blessed by incredible friends and support through everything. Thank you all for your cards, e-mails, and calls already. I needed to feel loved and I do. I just thought I'd share the text of a beautiful birthday card I got from my parents whose words said what I needed to hear:

How to Make a Beautiful Life:

Love yourself.
Make peace with you who are and where you are at this moment in time.
Listen to your heart.
If you can't hear what it's saying in this noisy world, MAKE TIME for yourself.
Enjoy your own company.
Let your mind wander among the stars.
Try.
Take chances.
MAKE MISTAKES.
Life can be messy and confusing at times, but it's also full of surprises.
The next rock in your path might be a stepping-stone.
Be happy.
When you don't have what you want, want what you have.
MAKE DO.
That's a well-kept secret of contentment.
There aren't any shortcuts to tomorrow.
You have to MAKE YOUR OWN WAY.
To know where you're going is only part of it.
You need to know where you've been, too.
And if you ever get lost, don't worry.
The people who love you will find you.
Count on it.
Life isn't days and years.
It's what you do with time and with all the goodness and grace that's inside you.
MAKE A BEAUTIFUL LIFE....

After being a good little study bee during the day today, tonight I just plan to lay low and hang out with Lesley, David, and maybe Tia/Wendi depending on their availability. We may get Thai (mmm) and do movies. No wild partying for me. I already feel older :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday! We hope you have enjoyed your day and taken time to relax. Have fun tonight!
Lots o' Love!

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Have a great birthday Tara! I'm digging your new blog. Take Care...

Alex

TAV said...

Delauneys-- thank you so much for the card and B&N certificate... any new book recs, Laura? Certainly will come in handy during traveling.
Alex- glad you like it! Keep in touch! U around McLean around New Year's?