Wednesday, June 20, 2007

On friendship and keeping in touch

I really love people. Lots of people. Relationships definitely are what keep me going.

Having moved to a new city where I knew virtually no one (except the people I met while interviewing [people keep asking me, "So do you know anyone here? Friends? Family?" to which I reply "Basically, just the people in this room"]), it is weird to not have good friends around. I've given a lot of thought to this lately..... what is the point of friendship or making friends? What is the point of moving somewhere, meeting lots of wonderful people, moving again and losing touch with some, meeting more, only to lose some more the next time? Does it end? Does it ever get any easier?

I often lament that the friends I have moved away from are all meeting new people who they'll like more and who will "replace" the role I once had in their lives. It's kind of silly, I know. But I still think it. I guess it's kind of my own problem for I am the one who is generally moving voluntarily. However, I wonder whether I will ever be somewhere (other than heaven, if I somehow make it there... :)) where all (or a lot) of the people I love are in the same location. Probably not. It's really sad that most will become long-distance relationships.

So far, I have always felt closest to the people who are living in the same place I am. I think part of it is that my personality has changed and I have "grown" more comfortable with who I am and who I am around. I do still get together with friends from high school, and I'm still close to college friends. But, now that I'm in California, will my best friends be here? Will I even have any close friends?! (I have to really force myself to go out and try to start up conversations with new people-- I'm already noticing that, at these orientation things, I'm huddling in my "comfort zone" with the FP interns rather than meeting as many people as I can). I really wonder! What happens to my Mayo people who I was pretty sure would be friends for life? Will they still be wonderful friends if we are never in the same location again?

What is the purpose of keeping in touch? How many people is it reasonable to keep in touch with? Where is the line? Most of you know that I love talking to and meeting up with anyone and always (perhaps too compusively) write back. If it were up to me, I would probably never lose contact with anyone. The more friends, the merrier, I think-- it is great to know people all over the country (and world!). But people do grow apart and relationships can become superficial... when one person starts to let it slip or backs off, should you let it die? Or, if it's important to you, do you try to maintain it? I hate feeling like a friendship is more important to me than it is to the other person, but I feel bad about myself and feel like a failure when relationships fail or disappear. However, I don't want to be a stalker (any more so than I am now, anyway) :).

I think this post is getting a big depressing so I should turn it around. I'd like to say that I am LOVING keeping in touch with others via blogs. I'm so happy that Lesley saw the light and switched to blogger, Rachel talked Hans into "letting her" get a blog, and Mindy also started one (new links also to the right for anytime access!). If you're reading this, I would really appreciate it if, right now, you would go set one up (https://www.blogger.com/start) so that I could read up on your life too. It's not difficult, as even I, who is quite technologically-challenged, have (even though it's not as fancy as Kristen's stuff!) figured out how to link things, post pictures, etc. And I'd be willing to bet you could keep up with Lesley as far as postings go :) (starting strong, though, Les!). Think about it.

In a bit, I head to a dinner with the OB interns and chiefs (potential new friends... :) )

Oh-- I got my new UC Davis e-mail today, although the domain is a bit cumbersome. I also have a landline, should anyone want the number. Gmail and cell (and blog, of course) should still be good ways to keep in touch!

No comments: