This afternoon, I spent time with the lactation consultants who see newborns with feeding problems and moms with questions about breast feeding. It was incredibly educational. I really (obviously, not having had a child or done it myself) do not know all that much about the intricacies of breast feeding-- how much (ounce-wise) and for how long (each time, per breast) is normal at each age, intricacies of supplemental methods such as finger and cup feedings, why certain bottle nipples are bad because they lead to "flow sensitivity," how to work all the accessories such as nipple guards and pumps, and how to deal with moms' complaints of pain or soreness. In just a few hours, I felt much more comfortable with all those things and in counseling parents of newborns who may come into my clinic with feeding questions or problems with their babies' weight gain (in fact, just this morning, I saw a little two-week old who was a little slow to grow but who had finally regained her birth weight and seemed to be turning the corner).
I am actually getting quite nervous for OB call on Friday. I talked to Kyla (who's in Connecticut right now) for a good long while tonight about trying to stay calm and "do things right" and all that and felt somewhat comforted after our conversation-- she reminded me that everyone goes through this and feels this anxiety upon starting new things (although I think I probably have more anxiety than most people). I know that I may get slammed on Friday, covering the laboring patients and deliveries, running triage, and cross-covering gyn-onc (speaking of cross-cover, I think I will really hate it. I do NOT feel comfortable answering questions on patients I don't know). I am not sure whether to hope for a "busy night" to quickly get me acclimated to what goes on there or whether I should hope for things to be kind of slow so that I "ease in." In any case, I will learn from whatever happens. The learning curve now is really, really steep and I think, even one week from now, I will feel much more comfortable, confident, and also smarter :)
Other things I have learned recently:
- I learned today that Grandma is going to have another stent placed tomorrow, this one in the right coronary; this was not able to be accomplished during the last cath. She seemed to be doing okay when I talked to her this evening-- it's hard with all of us on different coasts and no one to be right close by.
- I learned that it is not rude to pass slow bikers. Yesterday, I was biking to work behind some really slow girl but didn't think it was polite to pass her, even though she was making my commute much longer than it needed to be. As I was coasting along, this other guy came up behind us and zipped by both of us. So, from now on, I'm passing when I feel like it (when it's safe, of course).
- I have $49 on my ID card to get me through meals through January. This doesn't sound like a large sum. Now, granted, 2 of those months are at the VA hospital, and technically a small sum of money means not a lot of call (they ration money based on your average call schedule, so I should be happy!). But I still don't think it was very generous.
- Believe it or not, Rite Aid is quite a good place to buy alcohol on sale (I love checking the ads and clipping the coupons)-- I got some rum and some irish cream for cheap! :)
- Netflix got wind (maybe they read my blog. Hah!) of Blockbuster's lower rates and special deals like Total Access... so they are lowering their monthly rate by a dollar. Hmm. Now a quandary of what to do.
- Okay, enough blogging. I need to review a few little things like pelvic anatomy, IUPC placement, lac repairs, and the "OB intern survival guide". Time to get my learn on! :)
3 comments:
I love Rite Aid! And I definitely think the folks at NetFlix are stalking you via blog. Why else would they lower their rates? :)
Keep us updated on the Hep C saga and how your first night of call goes! :) I'll be praying for you!
On a random note, the highlight of my week last week was when Karen (of Calvin and Karen) dropped off four bags of food that she wanted me to rescue. They were moving out of town the next day and had nothing to do with it! I was ecstatic. :) Extra virgin olive oil, Nestle Toll House chocolate chips, black spaghetti, couscous, risotto, parmesan cheese, etc. It was a beautiful day! And no food was lost.
Thanks for making time to blog - I'm really enjoying hearing about your adventures! Talk to you soon!
Tara - I learned today that I have $1600 on my meal card - not sure what that says about my call schedule for the next year :-0
Joneses,
WHAT are you going to do with all this food/money?! :) That's awesome you got the Wans' leftover cupboard contents :) David, I have to agree with you.. that seems mighty ominous as far as predicting call frequency. Or maybe Mother Mayo just has lots of money and we are poor here in Cali.
Post a Comment