me and "JoJo" (8 mo)
with both boys
Daddy David and Josiah
Kelvin shows Caleb (who is very into animals!) (iPhone) pictures of Pepper
(love their matching sweaters:))
We had a nice dinner last night with the Yuans (med school buds) and Ebby & Ronnie, who lived below me in a split-house for about a year and a half amidst my four years here (sorry-- no pics taken!). We missed Rachel and Hans (& fam) who are in Boston this year :(. Today, we went to church, watched football, and I took Kelvin around downtown and the WFMC ("World Famous Mayo Clinic," as we affectionately call it).
It is really strange being here. I don't know that there is ever a place as unique as Rochester, with its small-town feel but dominant medical clinic. While, for many reasons, I did NOT want to stay here after medical school, being back here, a place which was so formative to me as both a person and doctor and which holds so many memories (some wonderful, some heartbreaking), really does make me nostalgic. Here is an article about Mayo's history.
Kelvin was really impressed with the school, the Gonda and Mayo buildings, and the "subway" system (underground walkways built so you can avoid the usually-brutal winter weather [although it was in the 50s here today!])
"not many, but good" - motto of the Medical School (the smallest in the country)
Gonda Atrium
The Plummer Building
We drove around town a bit-- this is Soldiers' Field, where we used to play ultimate frisbee on Saturdays, a tradition that Kelvin and I actually started up among our residency friends in Sacramento!
While I am wearing a new, warm puffy coat (my Mall of America purchase!), it was lovely, weather -wise this weekend-- 50s and sunny (warmer than Arcata, I think!).
More family time after a takeout dinner of pho ("not bad," said K!)
Love this girl!
Caleb is a real ham, and Josiah has the best eyes...
..."cartoon eyes," I call them :)
I wish we lived closer to these dear friends, but I'm sure we will find reasons to see them again soon, wherever they are located. For now, goodbye, Rochester!























2 comments:
It was so fun to see you and get to meet Kelvin! Have a great rest of your vacation!
We LOVED having you guys! Thank you so much for making the time and going through all of the trouble of driving down to Rochester to be with us! It was wonderful seeing you and getting to finally meet Uncle Kelvin. :) We miss you already!
Post a Comment