Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Day at the Zoo


  
(fake goat, don't worry)
On Saturday, we had glorious weather (for Humboldt County-- it was in the 60s and sunny!) and we spent a bit of town outdoors. One of my patients works for the Sequoia Zoo in Eureka and recommended that we check it out. The zoo is very quaint--- established in 1907, it is both the oldest zoo in California and one of the smallest accredited zoos in the U.S.  I was quite pleasantly surprised by the quality/rarity of the zoo residents!



These "cavies," which appear like large jackrabbits, are native to Argentina. Here is a mom nursing her babies. I'm not sure I've ever seen a "cavy" before!

 

(sorry for the glare)

Some birds... (I'm more into mammals)


(K is very proud he caught this bird, "in action," stretching)

 
 

Llamas!

... and other grazers
 

We loved watching this red panda climb around!  What a cool animal!


"The Barnyard"



Yay for compost!

(I almost invested in worm bins for our home compost but found the thought a bit icky)


 Can you spot the gray foxes in this photo?


Gibbon!

We enjoyed our little town zoo-- traversing it took about an hour, but it was well worth it! How does your town zoo compare?

No comments: