I know that politics is a touchy subject in this year, as it is in most other election years. I also know that many people who read my blog completely disagree with me. If you are unhappy with the above image, you may want to stop reading this post now. However, this will likely be my one and only political post of this next term.
While it is definitely not a secret that I was very pleased with the outcome of this election, I think the election of four years ago in 2008 was perhaps the most excited I have ever been after a political race and it was interesting for me to flash back to the blog entry I posted then (I believe I was on night float). My friend Michelle wrote these words which captured my sentiments exactly,
"i chose a winner. after years of feeling disenfranchised, and in fact
never getting the president of my choice for as long as i've been able
to vote... years of feeling disgusted, discouraged, and actively
considering a move to another country...finally. yes we can."There will be many more races in which I will vote in this lifetime, perhaps even some more historic than those in the past four years. I'm sure I'll be disappointed in some outcomes as I was for several elections before 2008 but for now, I am happy about four more years of liberty, choices, tolerance, and, well, democracy in general.
While I, too, got inundated with the facebook posts either (overwhelmingly) praising this victory or being bummed that this nation is "going to hell" (doubtful, and a bit too dramatic, I think), I had to share this one FB post, from a friend (K.W.) of a friend and which describes a parent's point of view (which I, obviously, don't yet have but feel I would if I had kids).
"This afternoon, I’ve seen quite a few posts in my news feed about friends who are worried for their children’s future. From my perspective, I am hopeful for my sons’ future. Because of media coverage showcasing other nations celebrating our election, I am hopeful that my sons will grow up, as global citizens, in a stronger, more unified world. I am hopeful that they will receive a quality education in a public school with classmates who don’t need to worry about missing lunch and whose families have access to affordable healthcare. I am hopeful that more of my sons’ classmates will be able to attend college and enjoy the benefits that accompany higher education. I am hopeful that my sons will work with women who will earn the same pay and that they will date women who will have the ultimate power to make their own decisions regarding their own bodies. Or, if is the case, I am hopeful that my sons will have the choice to propose to and marry their boyfriends, whenever they want, wherever they want. I am hopeful that my sons will be compassionate and root for the underdog – and that they will learn to make decisions based on fairness and goodness, rather than money. I am proud to be a parent in America, and I am hopeful that my sons, too, will grow up proud of what will be accomplished in their lifetimes."
Amen.

1 comment:
I completely disagree with you, obviously, but you know I still love you (a lot!) I think my attitude is that no matter WHO is president, I am excited for the future of my children. Any president deserves our support and respect. That is what I will teach my children.
Miss you Tara!
Post a Comment