Thursday, June 30, 2022

PRIDE (/hope for the future)

 

We are LGBTQ+ allies in this house. We wondered somedays what gender/orientation our oldest would identify with, due to the pink pull-ups, dresses, and pink leggings he preferred to wear as a youngster and that (until the last year or so) his favorite color was "rainbow." We have been open to whoever he would be, because Love is Love. 

Iver's been attending a forest camp this week, which also wrapped up Pride Month 2022. Here was his matter-of-fact conversation on Wednesday...

Iver: Do you know something unique about Scout, one of my counselors at camp?
Me: No, what is it?
Iver: They are trans.
Me: Oh, that's cool. Do you know what that means?
Iver: Of course! Do you know what that means?
Me: Yes, I do. So do you know how best they identify?
Iver: Yes! Their pronouns are THEY/THEM!
Me (smiling so wide): That's great that you know that.
Iver: So can I follow their YouTube channel?
Me: Umm. I don't think so. But I will think about it. 

So many human rights are under assault from the religious right in this country.  I'm not sure if marriage equality, access to contraception, or inter-racial marriage is next on the Supreme Court chopping block.  However, the fact that my seven-year-old knows how to use gender-appropriate pronouns and doesn't find this shocking or a big deal gives me hope for the future of our country.

No comments: