Anyway, back to the late-night drowsiness. It is actually very irritating and inconvenient. Kelvin and I went to see "Inception" on Saturday night which was (supposedly) a very gripping and exciting film. I can't really comment, though, as I was dozing off within about 10 minutes of the 750 PM start time. As soon as the lights went down in the theater, I knew what was imminent. And there was nothing I could do about it.
Due to the above fact, I rarely go to evening movies at the theater unless it is a matinee. An 8pm start time is virtually impossible (and a waste of money) for me, and I will usually decline and save myself the $10 or whatever movies are nowadays. The only time in the last couple of years I was successful at a night-time movie was when I was coming off night-float and had slept the whole day prior to the movie. In any case, the 750 pm start time for "Inception" was pushing it. Despite being on an outpatient rotation and feeling rather well-rested, it still wasn't good enough, and there went another many bucks down the drain for a movie which I slept through and will have to rent later, as apparently it was pretty good.
We get Netflicks now, which is great; however, I must say that due to my high likelihood of falling asleep watching the films in the evening, sometimes it takes 2-3 evenings to finish one movie.
This frustrates me to no end. The problem did precede residency, if you were wondering if chronic sleep-deprivation has something to do with it.
I really wish I could change things! Some people tell me that I'm just not going to interesting enough movies, although I don't really buy this. It really doesn't matter what the movie is. I've tried coffee and sodas ahead of time. I've tried maintaining an upright position at all times (horizontal or lying down = game over). I try pinching myself. The thing that works the best, truthfully, is having all the lights on; however, this obviously wouldn't fly in a public setting. With the darkness, my eyelids seem to have a mind of their own, and keeping them open really does not seem to be under my voluntary control.
The Epworth Sleepiness Scale is a medical questionnairre which assesses your likelihood of sleeping during the following situations and recommends further workup based on your responses (0 points= no chance of dozing, 1 = slight chance of dozing, 2 = moderate chance of dozing, 3= high chance of dozing)
| Sitting and reading | ____________ |
| Watching TV | ____________ |
| Sitting inactive in a public place (e.g a theater or a meeting) | ____________ |
| As a passenger in a car for an hour without a break | ____________ |
| Lying down to rest in the afternoon when circumstances permit | ____________ |
| Sitting and talking to someone | ____________ |
| Sitting quietly after a lunch without alcohol | ____________ |
| In a car, while stopped for a few minutes in traffic |
| 9 and up | Seek the advice of a sleep specialist without delay |
Maybe I will, if I find some time off from residency, get myself a formal sleep study to check if I have sleep apnea or something.
In the meantime, though, I welcome all suggestions for ways I can treat this "conservatively."
3 comments:
Sounds to me like you are sleep deprived. Sounds like you have also built a dependency on adrenaline and need some interaction to keep yourself going. 5 am start times will make the evening extremely difficult. Body has to rest sometime . . . .
I think I am up there too. I feel you on this one. And JB does too. if the movie is really good I will often be okay but sleep is just so wonderful!
I calculated David's score as 20 :)
Post a Comment