Anyway, after a long day, I have a few pleasant things to keep things bright and in perspective:
TRIPS!!!!
- I finally used some United frequent flyer miles (I had like 53,000 saved!) to get a roundtrip ticket to Colorado over my first vacation block in Sept. Now, I was a bit skeptical about these free miles... as I figured there would be lots of restrictions and hassles, etc., but despite one initial error msg, the booking over the internet was quite painless. And painless on the credit card, too! Have I mentioned that I like free stuff? :) I especially like free travel! I plan on doing some fourteener-hiking with Mindy and will also see Cathleen (probably moving to Greeley, northern CO) and (hopefully!) Kelsey (who's decided to defer law school a year and stick around CO at least for a bit) too. I still have like 25,000 United miles and around 40,000 NW miles banked, which is awesome!
- I am trying to work out my OB schedule in June to be able to go to Hans and Rachel's wedding. I was initially a bit apprehensive about setting foot back in Rochester, where I spent too much time crying, hating life, and where I feel my spirit was broken and twenties were stolen (don't worry, I think they are recovered now!), but have decided that it is worth it to see these two tie the knot (don't you guys feel special? :)). Currently the schedule shows that I will be on OB days that month with the weekend off, but may have to travel Friday, so I'm trying to get a co-intern to cover me that day (with promises to pay her back with all kinds of call, including Saturday 24-hour calls, nights, whatever she wants :)). Maybe I can use some NW miles and make the trip for free.
- Possible Yosemite jaunt: Erin and TJ asked me a couple of weeks ago if I were free this wknd to go to Yosemite for a day or so. I don't start OB nights till Sun. night, so I said I was in! Our problem has been finding lodging, as this is an extremely busy time of year for tourists; however, as far as I know, the plan is still to go. I have no problem sleeping in cars, in sleeping bags near bears, etc.... :) Their friend Mike and Erin's brother Brian are coming too, I think. We were going to try to meet on the way somewhere Saturday morning and take one car in, do some hiking, stay overnight, and return on Sunday to our respective cities of habitation.
- Visitors: No one has come yet, but Nicole and Bay might be coming to San Fran for a wedding the wknd of Aug. 4 and I said I'd totally meet them there (time is tight) if I was off. I'm trying to see what my schedule is over Thxgiving to see if travel is possible; if not, maybe family would come here to see me? Maybe I'm being optimistic. Kate is having some family come and already invited me over if I have no Thanksgiving plans.
Trips not in sight:
- NW and NE: I talked recently to Molly, who is headed to the Univ. of Washington and then Vermont to do surgery (yes, she is crazy!) rotations-- how beautiful. I'd love to visit Vermont in the summertime! I would not love so much to be stuck in the OR for a month, though.
- Alaska: I keep getting updates from my Mom about seeing grizzlies, caribou, and all kinds of other fauna in Denali, visiting an Iditarod kennel, and watching whales all surfacing in synchrony on the Alaskan coast. So jealous. Almost more jealous than I am about Wendi's dog.
- Argentina: My sister is leaving in two weeks for a month in Argentina, where she will study Spanish and try to pass me in country-numbers seeing all kinds of South American countries like Chile and Uruguay. Boo.
And I am still waiting for visitors....
But I am trying to focus on the donut and not the hole :) In other fun news: Natasha started a blog (see link to right). More stalking I can do to procastinate working on my research paper revision :)
5 comments:
Tara - If you make it back for our wedding, Rachel will buy you supper that night. She will also take you dancing. More free stuff!
Yosemite has good camping if you just bring a tent. A lot of them reserve rights for "drop in" campers so you can get a spot if you get there soon enough.
Let us know what your spring (march/april) schedule is like... I have a spring break, ya know!?! We'd LOVE to visit
Ha ha. Hans, I already know the festivities schedule. You better believe that I will do my darnedest to get there for the free food Friday ;). And really, I only attend weddings for the free food anyway. :)
I don't like dancing. I'll leave that to the bride and groom.
Looks like Yosemite is a go, although Erin didn't clue me into the sleeping arrangements. Her friend Mike has a tent-- maybe we're using that.
Laura- I'd love if you wanted to come visit during spring break. My weeks 3/31- 4/13: Chest Pain Eval
and 4/14- 4/27: Cards Consults are light, I think, with weekends free (am checking on this). Is your break during these times??
My spring break is 3/29-4/6! Let's try to make some plans!
Post a Comment