It was time for me to go to the doctor. I've been a healthy person in the past and really, except for a couple of issues, including some weird employment bloodwork and "cycle" stuff, I don't have any problems. I try, at all costs, to avoid going to the doctor. I think the last time I saw anyone for health care was before going to Nigeria, when I had to make sure my travel vaccines were up to date and to get my malaria meds, and I'm not sure before that. I was due for a pap, though, and was also interested in getting the Gardasil (cervical cancer) vaccine, for which I was eligible, so I had set up an appointment for today after I was done with my night shift.
Where do family practice residents go for their care? I went to the ACC (ambulatory care) building where I work in clinic, just because it was the most convenient. This was slightly weird-- the medical assistants and nurses at "Station 3," where I see my patients, were the ones rooming me and taking my vitals :) The doctor who was assigned as my "PCP" is actually one who I routinely precept patients with, but I didn't really care, even though I don't know her all that well, only having lived here a month. It was interesting to be on the other side of things. I tend to kind of be not the model patient-- for some reason, I couldn't remember the dose of Allegra I take for allergies (not sure if being post-call had anything to do with it... :)) and really had to think to come up with my LMP, something they routinely ask female patients. I had to fill out a "new patient" questionairre and had to wait quite a while for the shot, which required insurance authorization, and which HURTS, by the way (I get other doses at 2 and 6 months from today). I also sat at the lab (for what seemed like forever) to wait for my blood to get drawn, where I kept snoozing in the waiting room. It was unfortunate, but really the only time we have to set up appts. is post-call (after working nights), as we residents don't get any quality "day time" off. I was totally zonked by the time I got home, but it was one of those things I had to get "out of the way"-- all in all, things went fairly smoothly.
After being on the "provider" side of medicine, it really is extremely strange to be on the other side, esp. as my training goes farther. I'm sure there will be occasions in the future where I will have to be a good little patient, but I'm going to avoid those for as long as I can :)
2 comments:
Tara -
If you ever need an epidural, I am your man. I would love to stick a needle in your back while you look the other way!!
wow! what a bud! :)
Post a Comment