Sunday, July 1, 2007

Cold beverages are good, too! :)

While living in MN, I developed the strange practice of drinking hot water. This stemmed from an observation that I was drinking a LOT of tea throughout the days (to stay warm, and this was not only in true "winter," mind you!) that I rationalized could not be that good for me, esp. since most of it was black or chai tea that was caffeinated. So I switched to boiling (in my handy electric water heater) or microwaving water to drink. It took a little while to get used to drinking a hot beverage without flavor, but it got to the point where it was totally normal for me (although shocked most other people, even though they got used to it and had a designated "mug" at their house for me... you know who you are). Other people drink cold or room-temperature water to stay hydrated, but since I'm always cold (I prefer most drinks without ice), why couldn't I drink it hot? Now before you tell me how incredibly weird this is, I will tell you that I know at least two other people (I can reveal names if you really want) who do this and they are fairly normal (I think it is arguable whether I am "normal" or not). I'm sure there are many more people, though, who just may not have "come out" yet :). Little old ladies do it for bowel regularity. It can't be BAD for you.

I will let you know that I have not drunk hot water ONCE since moving to California. I have had tea and coffee occasionally, but it is so warm here that I prefer refrigerated and cold drinks. I even have put ICE in drinks while here (gasp). I have a nice coffee maker and have enjoyed starting my days with drinking (while reading Wendi's blog!) a cup of iced coffee from a pitcher I'd made the day or so before (brewed the coffee, added cream and equal and all that, and chilled).

Interestingly, my dad just sent me an article on iced coffee mentioning that the best way to make it is to not make it hot and then refrigerate it, but to actually brew it cold (entails just mixing water and coffee, leaving it out overnight, then straining out the grounds and diluting it). You can even make coffee ice cubes from the concentrated stuff. I'm definitely going to try this sometime soon!

Melissa asked me a while ago how to make the (green) Alligator drinks we had at my godmother's house before I left VA, so I will share this other recipe (green stuff has to be healthy!):

1 can (6 oz.) frozen limeade concentrate (not thawed)
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. rum, vodka, or apple juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 large avocado, peeled and cubed
8 ice cubes (if you are using a normal blender, best crushed beforehand)

Measure all ingredients into blender and blend for about 15 seconds. Can garnish with mint springs or lemon twists.

I also think that, for anyone who hasn't had a mojito (Laura and Wendi-- it has alcohol, but is good), you should try one. I think it is my favorite cocktail. I haven't made them myself before at home (my sis said she had good success with a recipe), but definitely have to start doing so (now that I have rum I bought on sale at Rite Aid :)). Just as long as I'm not doing it and drinking alone, right? :) I watched a video of making one at a Bacardi site online with music and drumbeats and all that-- very inspiring :).

12 mint leaves
1.5 oz rum
1/2 lime
7 oz club soda
4 tsp sugar

In a tall thin glass, crush part of the mint with a fork to coat the inside. Add the sugar and lime juice and stir thoroughly. Top with ice. Add rum and mix. Top off with chilled club soda (or seltzer). Add a lime slice and the remaining mint, and serve.

Enjoy! :) If anyone has a special summer drink, please comment and share! I always love new things to try. And I'm loving this summer!

No comments: