Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Our little bit

In light of recent devastating news that we will likely be experiencing far more natural disasters and a worldwide environmental crisis by 2040, I thought I would post on some little things we have been doing to try to help our planet in an age of brazen climate change denial by our country's head and one major political party (perhaps the last on earth that doesn't believe in science?) who shall go unnamed but, with hope and many prayers, outvoted dramatically next month.

It's hard with young children to not create a lot of waste, but progress, not perfection, is our goal.


At home, while we already use washcloths to wipe the kids' hands and faces after meals and cloth napkins (as well as cloth diapers), we do have paper towels on hand for spills and messes.

Kelvin found these washable, reusable (about 100 washes /each) bamboo towels on Amazon and we've already tested them out (and run one through the washer).  I'm a fan!



Bambooee - The Original Reuseable & Machine Washable Rayon from Bamboo Paper Towel Replacement As Seen on Shark Tank - We Plant a Tree with Every roll we Sell - 30-Sheet Roll

I think I previously wrote about how Iver straw-shamed my mother-in-law about her plastic straw use after seeing pictures/an online video of a sea turtle with the obstructed nostril. I now have a stainless steel straw set, and we use reusable ones at home.  California became the first state to pass a law banning routine plastic straw use in sit-down restaurants-- unless patrons ask (in effect starting in 2019), which I think is FANTASTIC, and a great step into decreasing plastic waste. I try to bring our travel cutlery sets when we go to festivals and travel.

The local coffee shop, Ramones, to which I always bring my coffee thermos if I get coffee there, had this sign posted. Love!


Humboldt "hippie land" is already pretty environmentally conscious.


At the roller rink

Earlier in the summer, we installed this solar composting Green Cone for our kitchen waste, and it's satisfying (albeit fruit fly-attracting).



Our big project this year (besides acquiring my electric car) was going solar!   Kelvin did all the research, scouting work, and contracting contacts. Roger and his crew installed our roof panels (facing our yard) while we were in Croatia.   We're excited to be a part of the renewable energy revolution!





Let's all do our part! Go Green! (Vote Blue).

No comments: