Saturday, August 25, 2012

Shuck 'n Cruise


As I'm sure you've figured out by now if you're a regular reader of this blog, Kelvin and I love oysters. Serena has been in town for the past two weeks and, thankfully, she, too loves oysters.
We weren't aware that you could go on "Oyster Cruises" from Eureka until I noticed a blurb on it in Sunset Magazine.

On Wednesday evening, we went on our first "Shuck n' Cruise" (although we didn't actually have to do ANY shucking, which was perhaps the best part of the cruise [they did the shucking for us]; it probably should have been called "Slurp 'n Cruise" or "Eat 'n Cruise").  We had "all you can eat" oysters for the hour-long cruise.  I think I put away about one and a half dozen oysters (Kelvin probably more), which made it well worth it!




Mmmm....

We had a lovely, sunny evening in Eureka but it was still chilly on the 'Madaket' Boat we took.


We were reminded that 60-80% of all of California's oysters come from Humboldt Bay and MY OH MY are they tasty!



Brad actually joined us in Arcata this weekend and made a delicious mignonette sauce to go with the fresh bought oysters we enjoyed at home today. Can't wait for Oysterfest 2013!

2 comments:

Hans said...

Rach and I took the kids to St. Anthony's Feast in North Boston this weekend. They had "Cherry Stones" which I guess are some sort of clam. They were awful. I'm glad you liked the oysters, but please keep the cuisine to meat and potatoes when your midwestern MN friends visit!!

TAV said...

Oh, Hans! Will do :)