Saturday, August 18, 2012

Olympic Memories

 

I know many of you were into the Olympics this year. As always, I was a bit of a fanatic. I just adore watching sporting events. I would be up until midnight pretty much every night (even on "worknights," which RARELY happens) to catch the end of the broadcast. This was a wonderful Games. Despite lots of "spoilers" on FB from NBC events not run on the west coast until laaate at night, I thought the broadcasting was pretty good, and I love the "interest" stories.

I remember the games in Barcelona in 1992 pretty well which started my career of Olympics-watching. These London 2012 games were certainly been one of the more memorable Olympics to date.  I have a few friends-- Cathleen, Nicole-- who were in London for the Games. I AM SO JEALOUS! I'm trying to talk Kelvin into going to Rio 2016 :)

This post is more for my own memory than for blog-worthiness (I periodically revisit the idea of using a book program to "print out" my blog to substitute for scrapbooking, a "hobby" for which now, I certainly have not either the time nor patience); in any case, here are some of my favorite shots/memories from London 2012!


Gabby Gold in the all-around (so clutch!)
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

Seeing the U.S. Women's Gymnastics team take the team Gold was perhaps my favorite moment of these games. It comes close to seeing Kerri Strug and her winning 1996 one-foot-landing vault.

Aly Raisman's expression when she finished her floor routine for the team was one I'll never forget...
 thedailywh.at


 Who could ever top this guy? Michael Phelps' Legacy (22 Olympic medals, 18 gold)
CBS

U.S. Swimming Rocks the Golds (starring Missy Franklin, Michael Phelps, Rebecca Soni)
Matt Slocum/AP Photo

Andy Murray finally beats Federer in a "big match" and becomes UK's national hero
Wales online
Murray's dogs sport the Gold (singles) and Silver (doubles)
 
 eonline


Allyson Felix ("Finally!")
Andy Bull; guardian.co.uk

Usain Bolt (Fastest Man and Largest Ego ever)
 usainbolt.com

 Pistorius debuts at the Olympics
REUTERS/Mark Blinch

David Boudia winning diving gold (surprising all 1 billion Chinese) in one of the closest diving finals I have ever seen
 Wash post


Misty and Kerri: three-peat and forever gold 

It's a very good thing I've been busy this week; otherwise I would have had quite the Olympics "withdrawal." Can't wait for Tennis' U.S. Open (and Rio 2016!)

No comments: