It's been a heavy month. I lost two of my dear patients (not wholly unexpected due to age but abruptly in the same week) last month.
My great-aunt Marilyn passed on November 6th after hip surgery and after a battle with memory loss.
A longtime local pediatrician Dr. Cook passed away on November 3rd.
Kelvin's grandfather has been diagnosed with metastatic cancer of unknown primary and is on hospice care with limited time remaining.
I had to do the hardest part of my obstetrics work on my last call weekend, delivering two (back to back) babies that had lost their heartbeats in their mothers' wombs. These families' losses are so hard to imagine.
Grief is a reminder that we are mortal, and human. Our lives are not to be taken for granted. I am thankful to had had more joy than grief in my years.
“Grief is not a disorder, a disease, or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, spiritual and physical necessity, the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve.”
-Earl Grollman
No comments:
Post a Comment