I read 73 books in 2024 (with a few days to go). I didn't have a knock-it-out-of-of the park with all-time favorites, but did read some great ones-- here are some recs if you're searching!
I really enjoyed this memoir by Maggie Smith, a poet and gifted writer, who writes in short vignettes about her painful (and unexpected) divorce and parenting while trying to "make this place beautiful" in a way she had not planned for her life.
I hadn't read anything by Abby Jimenez before, but this was my gateway book! Lovers of Emily Henry will enjoy this author and this sweet book in which Briana and Jacob, both Emergency Department physicians fresh off their own messy break-ups, start a letter-writing friendship--- which, of course, develops into more... (I followed this with Part of Your World, which I also loved).
I love all of Irish-American writer Tana French's Irish murder mysteries, and The Hunter, her newest, also did not disappoint. In this book set in Ardnakelty, a small village in the west of Ireland, teenage Trey Reddy's absent father shows back up in town with a scheme to get villagers rich with hidden gold.... but when his associate ends up dead, everyone is pointing fingers.
I was so excited that I got to read (thanks to our local librarian) an early read copy of this newest historical fiction book from Kristin Hannah. It follows Frances "Frankie" McGrath, a brand-new nurse who joins the army and serves in the Vietnam war, shaping her life in both good and traumatic ways as it did for many who enlisted (including the often-forgotten "women").
I adore Emily Henry's writing and this was another cute love story that involves Daphne and Miles, who become (complicated!) roommates when their (ex-) partners (Peter and Petra, childhood not-so-platonic-after-all best friends) dump them for eachother.
I picked up The Best Minds on the recommendation from fellow reader-friend Jessica. This is the extremely well written and heartbreaking (true) story about the author's friend (Michael Laudor), chronicling his life from their shared suburban childhood in NY through Ivy-league education at Yale, through a psychotic break, and his turn towards violence. Even the best of families, communities, friends, and mental health safety nets (albeit flawed) can't save everyone with the devastating illness of schizophrenia.
I really enjoyed this novel by Taylor Jenkins Reid, in which Monique is mysteriously chosen as the biographer for Evelyn Hugo, a woman who rose from humble origins to movie star status. Monique searches to understand Evelyn's choices in seven husbands and, and to discover who, in fact, was the great love of her life (as well as why she was chosen to write Evelyn's story).
The God of the Woods came highly recommended from friends and booklists, and I agree it is well worth the long read! The wealthy Van Laar family is touched by tragedy when their son, Bear, disappears from a trail on the woods of Camp Emerson in the sixties. More than a decade later, his sister Barbara (a bit of a rebel and a new camper) also goes missing-- leading to a lot of speculation on if/how the disappearances are connected, who was responsible, and their motives. The chapters alternate points of view of the counselors and camp staff, family members, townies, and investigators, which really leaves you guessing how the secrets will be revealed. It was definitely one of the top books of 2024 for me!
I have been fascinated with Octopuses for some time- including after reading a fantastic fiction book Remarkably Bright Creatures and watching the documentary "My Octopus Teacher." This book was given to me by a fellow book-loving patient and explored the life and cycle of several octopus "friends" as told by the author, who came to know them intimately in their aquaria and also watched them in the while diving. You will never view octopuses the same (or eat them, probably) after reading this.
I loved By Any Other Name, a new release (which my sis-in-law gifted me for my birthday in November) from one my favorite authors of all time, which tells the story of two women writers (playwright Melina Green and her ancestor, Emilia Bassano, who lived in Elizabethan England), whose words threaten to be forgotten at the expense of more famous men (namely in the case of Emilia, William Shakespeare). It discusses friendship, love, loss, and ambition in the best kind of historical fiction novel!










2 comments:
Thank you, Happy New Year & Merry Christmas 🎄
You’re amazing. Thanks for sharing some wonderful books. I loved Hugo’s as well. I’d like to read more this year.
Post a Comment