Thursday, October 19, 2023

New Sink Joy!

We bought and moved into our current house in 2016, and it's pretty perfect-- one level, 4 bedrooms (including one master), ~2100 square feet, with a fenced-in small yard, and spacious garage. 

However, the things I like least about our house have had to do with the kitchen-- way over-sensitive fire alarms (or a poor hood), and a divided sink, which was non-functional for pan-soaking and challenging for washing the million dishes our household generates (including many lunch/snack tupperwares). 

I had mentioned to Kelvin years ago that (one day) I would love a wide-open sink, rather than our existing one with a divider. We're not really into "home-improvement" or reno projects and don't plan to leave or re-sell/flip this house anytime soon.  However, apparently some sinks that fit the bill were recently on sale at Costco and, having connected recently with a house- and yard- construction expert Darren, who is staying next door and recently trimmed all of our yard redwoods, K purchased one this week with the goal to replace ours. Darren was free on Monday because of an on-hold outdoor job due to pouring rain, and was able to pop over and install it over the course of an afternoon!  

Goodbye, old sink!


Here's the new-and-improved sink of the same dimensions (although it looked HUGE when out of the box, and also now in situ-- Darren even was concerned it wouldn't fit, but it sure does). It's not as deep as a farm sink but I think something called a "short-apron" (pardon my lack of HGTV- or home project terminology). In any case, whatever it's called, it is so much more functional than our old divided version, because we can now soak large pots and saucepans in it.


We had a bit of a dishwasher-leaking issue last night after the new sink was in, and I think Darren will be back later to troubleshoot a water connection, but I'm already loving the new steel!   Small adjustments to day-to-day pain points do make a big difference. I give you permission to get yourself that dream sink if it makes your dishwashing time more joyful! 

No comments: