Sunday, March 13, 2022

Strongly Dislike

 


We don't use the word "hate" in this house. My kids know that it's a banned (akin to a swear) word-- when it comes up in books, I censor it to "dislike" (sometimes I slip up and Niall calls me out).

I also hope that my kids grow up to eat a variety of foods and textures (which is not their strong suit right now). I struggle with *forcing* them to try again things that they've told me they dislike in the past. However, no one grows up loving brussel sprouts, right (I famously didn't eat green beans until I was in college)?

But jello. Sigh. I cannot stand jello. From the midwest "jello salads" that one cannot, in good faith, call salad to jello pudding and these little fruity gelatin cups that Kelvin's mother sometimes gives the kids, I just cringe. The jiggly texture (and artificial flavor) is just not for me. Neither can I do flan, mousse, pudding, or anything similar as a dessert.

But my kids love it. At Target one day, Iver found a bunch of jello boxes and had to have Kelvin send me a picture of them all together as a joke. They didn't buy them all. They did buy one box, and I told Kelvin he'd have to be the one making jello if he and the kids felt so inclined to prepare and eat it; I could not be involved. 

There are few things (/foods) that I strongly dislike more. 

No comments: