Mom guilt (especially working-mom guilt) is real. Except for when kids are asleep, a lot of moms (I for sure) feel bad about taking time for ourselves, to recharge and reconnect with other friends. We feel bad that we're not spending (or wanting to spend) all of our waking, non-working hours with our little ones, especially on the weekend. We worry that our husbands/partners aren't going to feed the kids nutritious food or that they will be able to handle their meltdowns or needs if we "choose" to be away (but we really don't given them enough credit).
Kellie (a friend and truly awesome stay-at-home mom, which I could never be) wanted to celebrate her birthday this weekend with lunch out, and I went, even though it wasn't technically during "nap time" for either of my children. The kids did great (and Kelvin even got them both to nap by the time I was on my way home!). I enjoyed conversation with some wonderful ladies (most of whom were moms, too), and we enjoyed a nice meal uninterrupted by children's needs or food on the floor or in our hair or on our clothing.
It's hard to drop the guilt, but I need to do this more! Thanks for the invitation to get out, Kellie!

No comments:
Post a Comment