The Ebola panic is real. For anyone who has seen the movie "Outbreak" (parts of which were actually filmed in Humboldt County's own town of Ferndale), I agree that it is incredibly scary to think about an infectious epidemic like the one that is occurring in West Africa spreading through the U.S. However, PERSPECTIVE is what I urge people to consider.
As shown by the picture above, the epidemic of poor lifestyle choices and obesity is far more likely to cause death in this country than Ebola.
We don't currently have a vaccine for Ebola. We DO have a vaccine for influenza, which millions of people decline each flu season, although this virus can kill thousands (or more, remember 1919??) every year, as well-demonstrated by this NY Times article and this illustration. I am obviously very pro-science and pro-vaccine (BECAUSE THEY SAVE LIVES. See prior ranting post).
Measles, outbreaks of which are on the rise due to parents' misguided fears about autism, is much more contagious than Ebola as shown by NPR and also has the potential to be fatal; however, I have parents every day declining MMR for their toddlers for no good reason other than misguided hysteria (thanks, Jenny McCarthy).
Even if we had an Ebola vaccine, I suspect many people would be too suspicious to get the shot, but perhaps more people would consider it. Maybe epidemics are good for something.



No comments:
Post a Comment