Sunday, December 23, 2012

In-laws and the Avenue!



 

We are very happy to have Kelvin's family here in Humboldt County to celebrate Christmas. It took 12 hours for them to drive here from Orange County and they are so on top of things that they were here by 6 pm on Friday evening (almost beating us home from work!).  It's everyone's first trip to this part of the state so we wanted to show them around. Despite being on call for part of the weekend (had a delivery last night) and feeling rather crummy, battling a rather aggressive respiratory infection (I have a nasty cough, the worst sinus congestion I can ever recall, bilateral conjunctivitis, and laryngitis with a nearly absent voice), it is nice to have time around the holidays to spend with them.

Saturday's outing was to the Avenue of the Giants Redwoods about an hour south of here, which is surely one of the most beautiful places in California (or the U.S.). Unfortunately, the weather has been pretty awful.  On Friday, when we were discussing "The Itinerary," Theresa asked, "What happens if it rains?"  "It always rains," we replied. "We're still going (so put on your raingear)!"

Our Raingear 
I actually own about three raincoats and new boots since moving here.

Enjoy these photos of some of the famous Avenue trees, stolen from Eddie and Kenn.

Gettin' situated (and trying to stay dry!)

Mom, Katherine, Theresa, Dad


Our little family of three

Mom and Dad
 
(and the granddog)
 

Sisters!
 
  Eddie & Katherine

Lisa & Kenn
 

Us All

I love this "staggered" shot!

 Founders' Grove


Can you see the sisters amidst the tall, tall trees?

Theresa

Us & Pep

Kat/Eddie

Mom/Dad

The original four siblings!

The group!


Drive-through tree!

Kenn

Kenn and Lisa

Theresa and Dad

Theresa & Pep

Kat & Eddie

Drive-on log

(Unfortunately, the van was too large to make it through the drive-through tree's dimensions)

Picnic in Ferndale

Ferndale Gingerbread Mansion

Having seven additional people staying in our house has been... interesting. As I come from a rather small nuclear family (who I miss greatly this holiday season!), it has been really fun to have a big *family* holiday!  Neither Kelvin nor I have never really lived in a place big enough to host more than one or two guests, but we are hosting everyone, and somehow had enough mattresses/sleeping locations (including a guest bed, office futon, full-size aerobed, and very comfy sectional), sheets, towels, and houseslippers for them all without having to acquire anything extra! I stressed quite a bit about the food/meals (our fridge is rather small and I'm not really that confident in my cooking), that everyone was comfortable, and that they'd be entertained. Luckily, everyone is very low-maintenance and I no longer feel that I need to "impress." No one cares that we haven't been eating on fine china, or that some forks don't match. Everyone seems to have gotten plenty of sightseeing in while also entertaining themselves easily at home, and seem to agree that sweats are an acceptable form of attire most of the time.

I've learned that, in a family of 9:
-  two bathrooms are less-than-ideal but we can make it work
-  it takes a LONG time to get breakfast to everyone and to get out the door
-  daily trips to the grocery store are inevitable; we go through an awful lot of eggs
- I would need more dishes
- I'm glad laundry isn't my responsibility for their short visit

Here are some snaps of us, around the house:

Kelvin and Mom preparing breakfast!

Eddie and Kelvin, shucking our oysters yesterday. Yum!


Time with the pooch


Pep, while initially a bit intimidated by the large crowd, has now found some new buddies.
Here she is pictured with Lisa, to who she warmed up very quickly.


An always hilarious game: Jenga!!!! (or "Jumbling Tower")




Dinner #1 (Wasabi Tuna Steak with bok choy and rice)

More pictures and updates to come from our holiday weekend with my in-laws.... I had to do this in chunks since there was so much!

No comments: