I recently read and if you haven't yet, you should also read this article by Carolyn McClanahan about supporting the field of family medicine.
I love the following passage: "Although we are all special, most of our health problems are mundane and
do not require specialty care. For those who aren’t so ill, isn’t it
great you can ask your family doctor about the wart on your finger while
you are seeing her for your ankle sprain? The orthopedist would send
you to the dermatologist for that one."
While the field of family medicine is incredibly draining at times, it is also incredibly rewarding. Today, I got to deliver a baby of a family in which I see all the members (mom, dad, daughter). I did contraception counseling, started anxiety medications, did a circumcision, and saw a couple of my favorite 80+ year old patients. Last week, I did my first (unassisted) vasectomy. I really like being part of serving patients in a "medical home." Will you support our field, too?

No comments:
Post a Comment