
You might say that Kelvin and I live in another century as we might be the only two people left on earth who still own VCRs (so, by obvious addition, our household has two). I think my stereo system (which may be on its last legs) is about a quarter-century old and still has space to play audiocassettes. I think I may still have walkman and discman...somewhere. In any case, in honor of the movie re-release and 100-year anniversary of the sinking of Titanic on April 15, 1912, we (unwilling to pay to see the 3D version in theaters) just re-watched the film ... on VHS. It is, in my opinion, most certainly one of the best films ever made and very deserving of all its (11?) Oscars. It was just as good this time around. I cried again in all the same places.

I really like historical fiction novels, as well as period dramas/shows based on history, particularly the 16th century (and English Court), WW2 (Holocaust), and the 1960s / Civil Rights Movement). My newest favorite show, and which we plowed through in a weekend on instant Netflix, is the British series Downton Abbey, which takes place in the same decade as Titanic (in fact, starts out with the news of Titanic sinking) and chronicles the drama and lives of the Crawley family and scheming servants.

If you, too are a fan of Downton Abbey, you have to watch this spoof, called Downton Arby's, which can be found here. I am still holding my sides due to laughter.
And now I'm onto the Tudors. Any other recs (for historical books and movies)?
If you could pick a time period/decade in which to live, which would it be?
No comments:
Post a Comment