Yesterday, Mandy told me, "Tomorrow is a holiday!"
I could not figure out what she meant. Did I miss a major national holiday in April? I am a fan of Earth Day (4/22), but I was certainly unaware of the 4/20 holiday...
... much like I was unaware of the marijuana phenomenon for which Humboldt County is famous, before we really spent any time here.
Apparently (if you didn't already know-- I seem to be a bit naive!), "420 or 4/20" is an important date/time in cannabis culture, probably dating from the 1970s in California when it was used as a code time for pot-smoking. If interested, you can read more about the phenomenon here.
Mandy warned me that, on this date, I should beware of doing any hikes in the forest (lest we get swallowed by a cloud of smoke) and to be prepared to see more (than the usual) hitchhikers coming/going from this Marijuana Mecca.
| Needless to say, we did not celebrate this holiday. We walked around McKinleyville for Arts Night and then had a quiet night at home, free from the 4/20 festivities. |


No comments:
Post a Comment