Thursday, April 8, 2010

Running musings

I am not a huge runner. I guess I like running a tad more than my friend Natasha who, on the first day of medical school after numerous people introduced themselves and commented that they "like to run," stated simply, "I only run when chased." I still remember this intro of hers like it was yesterday (and can't wait to see my non-running and now-mom friend next week!). In any case, I like running in order to chase objects (i.e. frisbees) more than I like the actual running. I'm no crazy Molly-girl who runs 50-milers and things like that "just for fun". I do it for exercise (boy, has my metabolism slowed in the past couple of years!) and since moving to CA, have run a couple of half-marathons for a challenge, which it definitely has been; however I don't think my body is built for long-distance running such as a marathon, as much as I'd like to accomplish one. I have been throwing around the idea of running another half marathon on May 1st, but I'm really having a hard time mustering up the energy and motivation to train, having been traveling, commuting to Stockton for work, trying to hide from the Sacramento rain, and trying to catch up on very critical Time and other magazine-reading (which I do at the gym in true multitasking-style). I am being very indecisive at this point and, if I could just make myself sign up, I might find the motivation to make sure I ran enough this month to make it possible; however, I just keep putting off and putting off the idea of committing myself. I would love to find a buddy to run with, especially on the day of the race so, if you are planning to run the American River Half Marathon on May 1 in Sacramento, let me know and I will sign up pronto!



And speaking of running, I wanted to mention and get some input on the latest seeming running craze. I remember hearing, for the first, time about "barefoot running" from my friend Char about 6 months ago. We went for a run on the American River Parkway one Saturday morning (a perfect morning capped with a yard sale and yogurt, if I remember correctly!) where she told me that she was starting to "run barefoot." "Barefoot?" I asked incredulously, totally clueless (like I generally am about most new trends) about this craze. It sounded incredibly painful and, frankly, just weird.


If you are in the dark about such an activity, as I was just mere months ago, the principle is that running "barefoot" simulates the way that we (and those Kenyan marathon winners!) used to "naturally" run and which optimizes the mechanics of your stride so as to decrease the potentially damaging impact on your body (you can read about such scientific evidence at a science daily article online here). Running barefoot uses different muscles, and is supposedly far superior to our artificially crafted way of running (with shoes) with its detrimental heel-striking.


Do you buy it? I was not so sure before, but I am starting to warm up to the idea... of trying it. Part of it is getting bombarded by articles by a particular running- enthusiast attending and seeing such supporters in action. While Char said that she started out running in barefoot "shoes" crafted from leather-like soles and socks, she (and Brenden, who sometimes wears them to clinic!) now own Vibram Five "barefoot running" shoes, which definitely keep them "on their toes" and up to speed when we play frisbee on Tuesdays.







So... to run May 1 or not? And with or without shoes? :)

1 comment:

yuan family said...

I have seen those weird looking shoes before...that is so crazy. I am looking forward to seeing you! Safe travels!