Thursday, April 29, 2010

Approved texting

I'm still not a big texter, but I've gotten a LOT better.

It feels a bit strange to promote an activity that I have so often denounced, but I thought I would post a quick note on something which has come up a few times in recent conversations and reading: the TEXT4BABY Campaign.

As someone who takes care of a lot of pregnant women and has a particular interest in maternal and infant health, as well as someone who is rather jealous of 99.5% of the population that is superior at texting than I am, I thought I would mention what a great idea this seems to be.

This campaign is a new (as of February) private-public partnership which pays for free texts to expecting and new moms to remind them of various pregnancy milestones and tips for newborn care. All a Mom has to do is text BABY (or, in Spanish, BEBE) to the number 511411 and enter her due date in order to be registered. The idea came from a chairman of a tech firm that planned to send texts as health reminders in developing countries, where the apparent access to cell phones exceeds the access to health care.

Pass this word on to your friends and patients!

No comments: