Monday, April 19, 2010

Red Eggs and Lost Luggage

I flew back from Cleveland on Sunday and went straight from the airport to Mason's Red Egg celebration, albeit sans luggage which is another story in and of itself but, really, does lost luggage even faze me anymore? (the answer is no)

In any case, the Red Egg celeration is a Chinese celebratory tradition where the parents of a new baby introduce him/her to friends and family. It usually is held when the baby is at least one month old (somewhere between 1-3 months), as infant mortality was so high in China and many newborns didn't survive the first month. The baby was traditionally "named" at this ceremony, although nowadays (at least in the U.S.), most babies are named much earlier. As far as the "red egg" part, parents hand out red-dyed eggs at the party which symbolize happiness and the renewal of life.

Mason is very special to me-- he is the son of Wai Kiu (fellow FP resident) and Hanh, and the first baby of "friends" I got to deliver, just after Thanksgiving last year. Being able to have had the opportunity (privilege) to do the delivery was so amazing, and every time I see the kid I remember what it was like to be the first one to hold him! He is now almost 5 months old (residents' schedules make it difficult to have red egg parties on time!), growing like a weed, and just a very mellow, calm baby. It is always fun to hang out with him and his family! Here are some pics (some stolen; thanks, Wai Kiu!) of the day:

Babyland! (Oliver w/ Madeline, 6 months), Swati with Mason, me, and Noelle (with Kacey, almost 1 year)
with Kelvin


The "Red Egg Boy" with Wendy, Jessica, and Kimie

With Mommy, wearing his dinosaur (1st) outfit!

With the proud parents, cutting the cake


And in celebrating other babies.... Noelle and Kacey (almost 1 year old!)

There has been a lot of baby-holding lately! Fun times!


P.S. My luggage, apparently lost in San Francisco, made it to my place by about 9 p.m. last night, 7 hours after I landed. Sigh. Maybe I can get my $25 back.

1 comment:

yuan family said...

I haven't heard of that tradition...how neat!