First trip to Monterey and scenic Hwy 1 So. (the best, and the most pictures first!!)
Very well rested from my lazy vacation in Fla. and VA, I had been getting restless since returning to CA on Friday and very much wanted to go on a trip somewhere. Monday (a holiday we, shockingly, got off [JB, I am soooo jealous!]!), I finally got Amy to go with me on a daytrip-- we headed towards the central California coastline.
This was my first glimpse of the (southern) California scenic Highway 1 coastal road, which was truly one of the most breathtaking roads I have driven. I was trying hard not to veer off into the rough shoulder as I steered and gawked at the Pacific Ocean right there beside us. The pics don't do it justice, but scroll down to see some more that we took.
We went hiking at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park The water almost looked tropical!!
Photos I stole from Amy



Pretty bluffs and pretty girl!
First trip to Monterey
Monterey is a very cute town right on the ocean which, incidentally, is where English (the Rays' phenomenal daughter) lives!!! It would have been great to visit with her, but Ebby said she was busy studying for her end-of-year exams and so we didn't try to distract her :) Amy and I just walked around a bit and explored Cannery row; here are some pics...
I thought it was amusing that these kids were contributing to these sea birds' excellent nutritional statuses by distributing Lays potato chips :) Cute sand castle they made when not feeding the birds
Cannery Row
- Blocktime #2. Today was the first day of (our second round of) blocktime (educational time consisting of didactic sessions and time to work on our community projects, not hospital time). While I am sad to have vacation end, blocktime's schedule, where we don't start till 8 a.m. and are done every day by 5 (today it was much earlier!), feels like vacation compared to what our hours are usually.
- Tennis! I played tennis with Shomir on Friday for the first time in like 2 years in shorts and a t-shirt in February. I could not get over how awesome this was. I love CA weather!
- Bikram Yoga: On Sunday, I went to a Bikram Yoga class in town that Kate has been to, on her and Amy's recommendations. I have only been to one other yoga class in my lifetime and have to say that I'm not sure I'm a fan. While I thought this was "hot rocks" yoga or something, it wasn't filled w/ rocks, but just stinkin' hot (about 100 degrees in the yoga room, which is supposed to make you more flexible and [I think] help you sweat out more toxins). It did make me sweat. It would take a lot more than that temperature to make me flexible. Some of those poses aren't good for klutzy people. While I have to say that it was a very good strength-building workout, I actually started feeling really woozy and nauseated despite good hydration and had to duck out after about an hour. I think that that might have been my first and last time at that.
- Obama book: Dreams fFrom My Father was the first non-fiction book I'd read in a while. Very inspiring. I'd recommend it highly!!
- Drano not working. I thought Drano works on everything!! After cleaning out a hair plug from my shower drain, it has gotten progressively and acutely worse over 2 days to the point where I still (since the shower this a.m.) have 2 inches of standing water in the tub despite a whole bottle of drano! Gross! I have been doing some internet research and among things I'm supposed to now try are: lye, baking soda/vinegar, a plumber's snake (what is this??), or full-out plunging with a mini-plunger (where do you get such a thing??)!! Any other ideas? This is the first time I've had this problem (maybe I should call my fridge-replacing landlord!!).
- Frequent posting: This might be the first time I've posted too often for my blog-readership (Hans, are you still with us?? Wendi, do you like it?! :))
7 comments:
Haha, I am still laughing about the whole gas situation. I can't wait to take you on another trip with the gas tank on empty :) It was fun yesterday and I am glad it didn't start raining until today. Rock climbing Fri!
i LOVE the frequent posts!
i really really want to come and visit you. oh my gosh - hans...can i see about a cheap ticket to visit tara on a weekend?
tara - do you have any free weekends in april? i am so not joking here.
someday i'll tell you my "running out of gas" story. because of this, i am a total freak about not driving on "E". hans, on the other hand, scares me with how low he lets it go!
No, not too often for me!!!
Okay, so, when I read the story about you freaking about the gas and Amy not caring I thought to myself: this reminds me of Mozambique. I was sitting there, deathly sick fro mworry, and you three were laughing away and not aware why I would feel the way I do! Not much fun huh?!
As for the clog, I think this is a job for your landlord. You could try one more bottle of draino. Sometimes it takes A LOT. Otherwise, let me ask JB to weigh in -- although plumbing is his LEAST favorite activity!
Glad you got to go to Monterey. The coast looks beautiful in your pictures. I can't wait to go out next week. I leave a week from today.
I like you posting frequently. You know how I am and needing to know what is going on in peoples lives. :)
Thanks for the post! I am jealous that you got to play tennis outside in shorts and a t-shirt. It was -11 this morning..argggh! On a family vacation once, we drove 5 hours in the wrong direction and there were 3 adults in the car so don't worry!
A plumbing snake is a long thin stick that can be found at any home depot or home improvemnet store. Just walk in and ask someone who works there and they should be able to help you out.
amy- you're crazy.
rachel- i may have a weekend in april (may be going to socal) but it would be so great to have you visit! don't worry- we will find a time. 3 1/2 more years! hans does strike me as more of a risk-taker:)
wen- plunger success with the plugged shower!
ebby- have a great time!!!
kristen- i cannot believe you are still alive.
anonymous-- who are you??
Post a Comment