Monday, February 4, 2008

Coastal Cali (and more bad bowling)

Some picture updates.... (okay, so I broke down and posted a pic :))

Bowling on Friday (in pictured above, from left, are: me, Shomir, Arash, Amy, Sonia, Alvin, Darina, Din Hai)

Amy with the "clown" shoes-- they must have been lucky, because she kicked our butts (or maybe it's just her supreme skill). Yes, I still suck at bowling. I think I broke 100 one round, though, which was a major accomplishment.
Tu cracked us up with her strikes with the ball rolling 3-4 mph (does anyone realize HOW SLOW this is?!).

I tried to capture the "record" speeds.
Saturday was an expedition to Sonoma county and the coast!

Shomir and I headed out from Sac to the wineries in Sonoma county (there are HUNDREDS!!), stopping at B.R. Cohn's, Martinelli's, and then Martin Ray for some tastings. Now, it's a good thing he was driving and that there's someone who has an ounce of tolerance around here, because even the little tastings they gave us got me loopy by about 1 p.m.! We had some great local wines, though, including a yummy Muscat dessert wine, good Zinfandels, and also some tasty olive oil.



We had some really good pie at a local place in Sebastopol, Mom's.

We then headed out to Point Reyes National Seashore, which you may recall I saw from the air with Mike back in October (see below). However, the weather stank (rainy, stormy) and we could hardly see past the little curvy road that headed out there, despite some glimpses of the surf!

In fact, the weather was so bad that the famous lighthouse could not even be reached via stairs (here's proof)!


I made Shomir post some in front of the surf.
For a good-looking guy, he sure takes some funny pictures....
here...

trying again...
...and here (this one cracks me up! I quit trying after this picture) :)We also, while out there, had amazing oysters at Drake's Bay Oyster Farm, a little family-run shack-on-the-roadside where they shuck fresh oysters right there in front of you to eat! I'm actually not sure I've had oysters before, but they were awesome!




The day concluded with a visit to Shomir's sister and brother-in-law's place south of San Fran, where I got to meet his three adorable nieces, Anne, Lily, and Emma, and rest for a bit before coming back to Sac-town.

CALIFORNIA IS SO FUN TO EXPLORE!!! :)

6 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

I didn't know that you "shucked" oysters! That reminds me of shucking sweet corn on the farm.

Hmmmm. I bet they taste different though.


Looks like fun!

Hans

Laura D said...

Never had oysters?? You mean there's some food on this earth that I've eaten and you haven't (until now)?? My parents used to take me for oysters occasionally when I was younger. Tony liked to eat them, until I pointed out the waste receptacle (sp?) at one end...
Happy travels! :)

Anonymous said...

I love raw oysters. You shuck um' and suck um'. Doesn't sound too nice, but that is what we use to say. I could eat a bushel of oysters. Yum!!

Rachel and Hans said...

not sure about the oysters. i don't know if i could handle the slippery texture.

i love hearing about all your adventures!! and those "self portraits" of you and shomir are hilarious - especially his face on the last one!! you guys are awfully cute, though...:-)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you guys had such a good time and you met his family. That's kind of a big deal :) Well, we will have to go wine tasting together another time.

TAV said...

oysters ARE good! you minnesotans have to try them! :)