I started out the trip driving up to meet Cathleen in Greeley, where she now works and trains in track while still working down in Denver (about an hour south)! Actually, we met up on the highway on the way there, timing her leave from work at the same time as my leave from the rental car place at the airport-- this was cool! Anyway, she has to leave for work at like 4 a.m. and so is in bed by 8 p.m. usually, but we still had time to hang out :) She has a lovely porch pictured here.
Elk!!
Shadow Mountain Lake (I love lakes too :))
Long's Peak and Lily Lake
Yes, I wear this fleece every day, ok? :)
I'm running a bit short of time, so will write more and post more pics on this later (Mindy has most of them on her camera), but Friday, we left Colorado Springs for the mountains with the goal to hike two fourteeners (14000-foot peaks). Let's just say that this was HARD!!!! Mindy wants to do them all (she's done 14 of the 54 already!-- see her blog, which I also have posted at right, for all of her adventures so far)-- there's this whole culture here that aims to accomplish them all (here's the main site: http://www.14ers.com/). It was funny, because Mindy, Zach, and Jeremy (two of her friends that came with) kept referring to 13000 ft peaks, or thirteeners, as "why bothers!" We also met a guy on the trail with his two dogs, who've already done 15 each! That's nuts!
Anyway, we hiked in a bit with our packs, camped, and then headed up to Mt. Belford (14,197) and Mt. Oxford (14,153) yesterday. What craziness! I can't believe I didn't get altitude sick and die or something, but it was pretty impressive. It was pretty cold at the top and VERY windy, but we dressed smartly. Zach actually forged on ahead, and summitted another fourteener, Missouri, but we were too dead and heading down the mountains with such wobbly legs was enough for me! I think two fourteeners (in a lifetime) might be enough for me. For now, at least, until I move to Colorado and get sucked in :) I have to get Mindy's pics to share, but here are a couple of mine that turned out.Mindy and me at the summit of Mt. Oxford (with Columbia in the background)
6 comments:
What fun! I've been thinking of you - we're envious of all the fun in the beautiful outdoors you're having! :) Miss you! Talk to you soon!
I just realized that in the picture with Zach and me, you can see Oxford as well as Belford...what a great picture! Anyway, I am so glad you got to come, I think that was truly one of the best hikes I've been on-it just goes to show, it doesn't matter what your doing as long as you're in good company : ) Miss you already!
Wow Tara...nice work with climbing the mountains. It looks beautiful out there and makes me miss the Oregon mountains!
Please share pics of Kelsey too.
And we LOVE that national park. LOVE IT!
awesome! i so wish i was there with you! i'm glad you are having a fun, relaxing vacation. do some hiking for me! actually, you probably already have, with all that you have done. i'm impressed!
Wish you guys were all here! We should take some hiking reunion vacations in the future where Mindy can lead the way :) Kelsey says hi! Pics coming soon!
Post a Comment