While on the medicine VA service, not only am I learning fascinating tidbits all the while such as how to: accurately read PPDs (I discharged someone today with hemoptysis [coughing up blood] and a 18mm reaction, going home on quadruple anti-TB therapy), dose all kinds of drugs and replacement electrolytes, accounting for renal failure and the like, achieve optimal rate control for people's afib, as well as order things the correct way (the most important learning point of all!), but I gleaned a new word from my perusing of Time magazine earlier this evening:
"\smext-ing\v. The act of sending text messages during a cigarette break outdoors."
I kid you not. This is in Time magazine, and the "context" is the following:
"Banished from pubs and offices, bored smokers find themselves filling the minutes by tapping out wireless messages. Experts have dubbed the new activity "smexting." The practice is so popular that British cell-phone company Orange reported a surge of 7.5 million messages sent during the first two weeks of July, just after smoking was banned from indoor public places in England.
The emergence of smexting--as both a new word and a practice-- is more evidence of the growing ostracism of nicotine addicts. Some English smextrers say they have turned to texting since the ban as a way of seeking the support of friends in an effort to quite smoking. It's more fun than the patch."
Bizarro. Even though I'm all for communication while being ostracised (during breaks from the work hours that are residency).
2 comments:
Unreal! I wonder if that new word will be added to the next addition of the dictionary. God I hope not.
ha ha.
in reading 'fitness' magazine yesterday, i came across another new word:"tofi": an acronym for "thin outside, fat inside;" a person who doesn't eat enough to be overweight but has excessive levels of internal fat.
scary how fitting this was, although i think i eat plenty and my pants are showing it!
Post a Comment