Last night was the annual med school/grad school music recital in Gonda. It went really, really well. Although I love performing and don't mind organizing events such as this one, I'm not very big into leading things or talking in public (although I'm WAY better than I used to be!), so those parts of the evening made me a bit uncomfortable. I don't think I said or did anything too horrendous, though. We had some wonderful classical duets, including a Bach Concerto movment for violins, duets on tuba/bass trombone, as well as great vocal pieces, classical Indian, classical piano, and pop piano and guitar. Kristi and I played a Telemann canonic flute duet, which was great because it got me off the hook for public piano performance (cringe). I continue to be amazed by all the musical talent within the Mayo community and it's nice to have events like this one to showcase that. We had plenty of cookies, water, and I didn't forget anything major. We accepted donations and raised $126 (which includes 10 euros someone donated!) for the Ronald McDonald House in town (anyone here want to back me up and count the money a second time to make things official?). Kavitha, a second-year student, is taking on the organization of the event for the next couple of years to continue what has been a fun musical tradition! I'm only sorry I won't be able to attend and enjoy the great music :(
This morning, I was over at the Smiths' house for a few hours to watch the kids after Travis left for his SICU rotation at 5:30 (ugh! I can't remember what it's like to have to go in that early and to have to work!) and until Sarah came back around 8 from her night shift. I hadn't seen little Therin (3) and Kya (now 15 months!) in a while, and they've definitely grown up a lot. Therin was very insistent on watching Cars and NOT Bernstein Bears and was not very interested in breakfast. He did gulp down some oatmeal, however. Kya is really a doll. She is such a well-tempered toddler and has the greatest facial expressions-- she also loves to be held, so it was fun to spend some time with them again.
Since it was ABOVE 20 (!!!) today, I was actually able to get some errands done! I got a haircut, dropped library books off, and went to the store and gym. It really felt WARM, which is so ludicrous. Lisa and I were supposed to run this morning until I got called to childcare duty, but we plan to go this week! Yay!
This evening, I went to BW3's with Erin and TJ, who is in town for the weekend. They had a lot of wedding stuff to finish up, including choosing music, finishing up invites, packing some stuff for TJ to take back with him, etc., which made EVB even turn down an evening of dominoes (then you know they have got to be important!)! But it was fun to catch up over some good food for that little bit.
I'm hoping I can stay awake for a movie-- Lady in the Water is here from Netflix.
No comments:
Post a Comment