Thursday, March 18, 2021

Leprechaun Traps & Magic

I have to admit that I'm not high in enthusiasm in the general holiday-magic-making that tends to delight small children. I can barely pull off Santa (while I adore Christmas) but have a hard time at other times of the year (especially when it comes to more secular stuff).  We don't have any Irish blood in my family (to my knowledge), but somehow, we have produced a three-quarters Asian son who we chose to name Niall (an famous olde Irish king and "champion" in Gaelic) whose best friend at preschool is a kid named Declan... so maybe we'll be inclined to do some more learning and celebrating of Irish culture as we move forward (I've been to the Emerald Isle [once, circa 2004], knew a champion Irish dancer in high school, and one of my favorite authors is Irishwoman Tana French, whose mystery novels are all set in Ireland and full of colloquialisms, which is basically the extent of my cultural exposure to date).

The kids' childcare centers really get the spirit up during St. Patrick's Day week, and this year, both kids were into reading about and making Leprechaun traps. (Interestingly, we learned in one of these borrowed St. Paddy's Day library books that in Irish, kids are sometimes referred to as T'ank Gods [!])

Iver worked long and hard most of the week on his traps.  He was very excited to text "Co Kat" (with help from auto-correct).





He really wanted a note back from the Leprechauns...

... and he got one ("Kiss me, I'm Irish. Love Me Gold!"), along with some footprints (they took the bait coins and made a bit of a mess).  


 The leprechauns even left some pee in the toilet ("They didn’t flush!" exclaimed Niall).

The leprechauns had also visited their schools, making mischief in the bathrooms and more.

Leprechaun art (first one's beard made with forks per Iver)
 


 These wee lads (T'ank Gods) had a great St. Patrick's Day!


Lá Fhéile Naomh Pádraig sona dhuit!  

No comments: