Thursday, February 22, 2018

A whole different ballgame

 

Today, I was alone for the first time with a spirited 3-year-old and a one-week-old newborn after picking up the toddler from daycare mid-afternoon.

Ambition (or over-ambition) is... attempting to go on a walk on a finally-sunny (albeit cold and windy) afternoon with said toddler on a scooter, newborn in the stroller (since he'd fallen asleep in the carseat) and the dog on a leash.

Toddler got tired scooting up a small hill and requested I drag the scooter with us while he walked a bit.
Then toddler wanted to run on cement, and fell face down, crying and requesting to be carried (with all of my free hands).
Baby woke up partway through the walk.
Dog poop bags flew away in the wind and I chased them down.
(Dog behaved pretty well overall but refused to poop).
When back home, I couldn't locate the garage-door opener in our parked car to get everyone and their gear inside quickly in one step.
When I located the garage-door opener, its battery was dead.
Toddler wanted dinner ASAP, and so did baby.
Toddler really wanted to mess with the blinds while I was feeding baby and I couldn't get him to stop.
Dad finally got home from work and was even a bit early (phew).

When outnumbered, this parenting of two children is going to be very interesting.
Props to all of those single parents out there or those who do this on a regular basis.
I'm tired.

No comments: