
I am not particularly a Falcons fan (however, in sports competitions, I tend to root for the less-favored team, or at least the team or person for whom the victory may mean more). I do enjoy watching close sporting events and, for much of this Super Bowl 51 game, it was pretty boring. As the game went on, though, I began to quietly get behind the Falcons, thinking that they could pull off the upset against (morally questionable) Tom Brady and his elite (who happen to support our current odious 45th president). To many hopefuls, the outcome (triumph of the underdog) seemed to be "in the bag," so to speak, when the Patriots were scoreless for much of the first half, and when Atlanta led 28-3.
What have I learned in the past few months? Don't (ever) prognosticate (and don't ever underestimate the power of angry, white men).
I watched, numbly and quietly, as Brady connected on pass after pass and marched confidently up the field. To his "patriotic" supporters, it seemed likely he'd come out on top because he's a great All-American quarterback (and because, well, he had the blessing and cheers of "45," who gets his way just about all the time with little resistance). Statistically, even in the second half, it seemed that a comeback was unlikely with the way things they had been playing, and that, this time, there was a lot of hope that we were on the cusp of something big happening, that there would be a new, inspirational, deserving but marginalized champion crowned.
But we watched as the lead slipped away, with one small miracle after another. It was out of our control (as it always was). It wasn't meant to be, this year. Was I disappointed in the end result? Yes. Was I surprised at the outcome? Not in the slightest. I have learned that justice (as I interpret it) is rarely served (i.e. there's generally no such thing as "good guy" karma or divine intervention (in sports...unless, this year, it was all spent on Federer and the Australian Open final)...or in politics, for that matter. While the similarities to this Super Bowl game and Election Night were quite eerie, for me (and I'm certainly not the only one who made the comparison), there was just a feeling of resignation and more cynicism in the aftermath (and no real shock or sadness). My heart wasn't broken this time (or perhaps it's broken beyond repair) and the great news is that I've moved on quickly and easily, and Tom Brady is not in a position to sign any unconstitutional or civil liberties-destroying orders or laws (I think. But maybe there's a cabinet position still open for him).
No comments:
Post a Comment