Thursday, July 28, 2016

Sleep (FINALLY)!

I was in a low place when I wrote my last blog post, obviously exhausted, frustrated, irritable, and needing things to be different.  Thank you for all of your well-wishes, e-mails, comments, and virtual hugs, encouraging me in this crazy parenting journey.


I'm happy to be able to post a *positive* update (in the sleep department), for once.
With a combination of cry-it-out, night-weaning (i.e. no nursing between 8pm and 5:30 a.m.), socks to bed (we weren't sure if he was waking up cold?), and the toddler stoplight alarm clock ($33 on Amazon), within a week, we now have a toddler who is sleeping approximately 9.5 consecutive hours at night (or at least who did that for three nights...does that count as a pattern?).  I really don't know if it was any ONE of those things that "did it," or the combination, but I DON'T CARE. I was beginning to think our child would never "sleep through the night," which was a depressing thought.  We occasionally hear a peep out of him (and, on the video monitor, can see him glance at the clock, and go back to sleep if not "green", and had one 30-min crying spell last night that stopped without our intervention), but actually had THREE consecutive nights of him not waking us up.


One morning, we both woke up (with white noise on in our room) at 6 a.m., wondering "Oh my gosh. Is he alive?" In fact, he had been up probably about 15-20 minutes, crying, since the light turned "green" around 5:40 and there was a puddle of tears on the bed, but we hadn't heard him. Oops.


We also have close-to-finished off our bedroom, with our king-sized bed frame arriving from Macy's and being assembled to completion by Kelvin yesterday. While the mattress has been here a while (there were issues with the previous bed frame from Wayfair), one of us had been sleeping with Iver (or in the guest room) part of the night, and now we can enjoy sleep in our "adult" bed (my first "real" bed, complete with bedframe and headboard!) together in our own room, while he (with hope) sleeps through the night in his.




Parenting WIN! Let's hope it lasts!



2 comments:

Laura D said...

Yay!!!

ac said...

Great to hear Tara! Glad you're doing well :)