Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Slightly losing it

So to follow up my flat car tire Friday, I somehow punctured the front tire of my bike around 5:40 a.m. on the way to start the MICU rotation Monday. The metal prong-thing I found when I reached the bike cage behind the ER didn't get wedged in there was close to the hospital, so I made it there before the tire became fully flat, but I was not very pleased. A harbinger of the excitement to come this week/(month)?

Our team was post-call yesterday so I really had minimal duties at the MICU-- the leaving team took care of the couple of transfer summaries and presentations of new patients; however, I just walked around with this really ill feeling in my stomach. The ICU is very foreign to me, and while some people thrive in that environment (I remember Lesley telling me one time "I LOVE the ICU! You don't have to talk to those patients, you just do your exam and get out to write about the plan, which doesn't change much..."), it just makes me feel ill. I like taking care of mostly well, young, healthy people that can walk into my office (or pop out a baby). Anyway, I walked around all day feeling as though I was going to puke or burst into tears and I sort of feel the same way today (my "day off" even though I have clinic this afternoon), as I have to go back tomorrow. Ugh. Even the fact that it is technically q4 "off" doesn't make me feel better, as the terror of the "on" (q4 call) part wins. I am "ON" call on Thursday. I think I need to start both an antacid and an anti-anxiety medication. I hope this improves over the course of the month.

Anyway, I pretty much just slept all Monday night and then this morning. And I know that I'm really losing it because I thought I had clinic at 1:00. In fact, I don't. It's at 1:30. I really am usually on top of stuff like this. And I don't know what kind of a clock I was using at home, because I left my house in time to make it here.... by 12. Yes, a whole hour early. So much for that (half) day off which really should be a FULL day off (not coinciding with the clinic half- day), but the resident didn't have much sympathy for me when I brought this up.

As much as I tried, I could not get my bike tire back ON my bike, once the tube was replaced, when I tried last night. Anyone wanna lend a hand? :)
It is also raining a heck of a lot.

I wish things would change around here :).

I think I will go to grand rounds and try to learn a little something. I'm here, after all.

6 comments:

OY said...

Hey, Obama girl. There's this great site: http://obamala.com/

Check it out.

Rachel and Hans said...

sorry about the rough day, tara! at least you can ride your bike still - that is not happening here in MN! :-)

good luck with the ICU. although hans likes it, I think I would be more like you and rather my patients be healthy.

TAV said...

very sneaky, oliver!!!
rach- i miss you guys! and i guess the icu is good because if people don't need to be intubated, those anesthesiologists are out of jobs :) we want to keep hansie employed. oh! and p.s. i saw 'juno' on sunday and loved it! thanks for the recommendation!

Rachel and Hans said...

Tara -

I think you will like the ICU, just give it a chance! The nurses are usually very helpful and good at what they do.

We miss you here!
I would fix your bike except 1) I am in Wisconsin and 2) I probably couldn't.

Hans

Unknown said...

Hey chica :) Just wanted to say hi and I hope something great happens to you today!!! -cathleen

Rachel and Hans said...

glad you liked juno!!