Monday, January 28, 2008

(Perhaps not so interesting) updates

  • I realize that it has been over a week since I posted. I can't keep up with Kristen, though (props for all of the recent postings!)
  • I guess my life is not that interesting.
  • As for social outings: Amy, Shomir, Katherine, and I went to see "Bodies Revealed" (plastinated bodies) last week; not as good as "Body Worlds" which I saw at the St. Paul Science museum last year, but still good.
  • "Tainted Love," an 80s band, played at Harlow's on Friday, where Amy, Kate, Shomir, and I jammed away. I wish I'd crimped my hair (some people went all out!). I love 80s music.
  • I recently read House of God, which I wouldn't recommend. I hope to read some better books over break.
  • I want to go see 'Kite Runner' but friends (ahem, Amy and Shomir [I realize that this is sounding a bit redundant, but no, we are not joined at the hip but do hang out a lot!!]) who said they would go w/ me want to "read the book first" but haven't been doing so much reading. I gave them a deadline of Saturday; otherwise, I'm going to go by myself or something on vacation!
  • I realize I'm slacking w/ the pictures, but I've started to get made fun of...
  • MICU (which, truthfully, has actually turned out to be pretty great with great attendings and fun other residents) continues. Three weeks down, one week left.
  • I successfully, on one poke, placed a central (internal jugular) line last week and did not drop a lung or puncture the carotid (this may not be a big deal for some people, ahem anesthesiologists like Hansie, but it [placing it; don't worry, I haven't injured any structures on anyone before either] was really nerve-wracking for me b/c I'm not confident at all).
  • Sadly, I learned (when checking up) that another one of my patients who we transferred to the floor died 2 days later. I have yet to learn the details but this shook me again. One thing I will NOT miss about the ICU is the frequent deaths. I don't think I will be transferring any more people to the floor.
  • Luckily no one died my last night (Saturday) on call in comparison to one of the early ones when two did and when I had to pronounce one.
  • I got called about 150 times to Tower 7 on my last night of overnight call. I kid you not.
  • I started hanging out on Tower 7 so they wouldn't page me every 5 minutes.
  • I slept near-continuously for about 19 (yes, that is nineteen!) hours after call.
  • I don't think I'm made for q4 overnight call.
  • I was a white cloud, though-- only 2 total (instead of 10!) admits.
  • Today was my day off which I luckily got FREE from clinic (had to have clinic one of my days off on week 1) or testing responsibilities (had to take the CREOG, or ob/gyn inservice exam last Friday on my day off)
  • I got a haircut today! No pics, though. You'll have to wonder what it looks like. Maybe I won't post any until I figure out the Kits' May baby's name (you realize, however, that they could significantly expedite this).
  • This is the first haircut since May, before graduation!
  • There are no costcutters or Haircutteries in Sacramento! (I went to SuperCuts).
  • My fridge went on the fritz again. This time the temp was 56 degrees.
  • My landlord is as frustrated as I am and... drumroll...now I have a new fridge!
  • I can officially feel okay about grocery shopping for less risk of things going bad; however, I still hate grocery shopping and do not enjoy cooking.
  • Shomir introduced me to gummy vites today. OH MY GOSH. If I had only known about gummy vites (chewable, gummy-bear-like vitamins!) when I was a child, I would have been much more vitamin-replete! Those Flinstones vitamins my parents forced on us were nasty (remind me to tell you about my sister's love and history with Flinstones vitamins sometime...). Maybe I will never have to go shopping... I could survive on these things...
  • I promptly went to Target and bought gummy vites, among other miscellaneous things.
  • I realize that I'm on call on Superbowl Sunday :(. Not that I'm a *real* football fan, anyway (Phi gives us a hard time about this), but I do like to watch the 'big game.' :)
  • I love days off.
  • I am very inefficient on days off.
  • The hours in my day off are passing too quickly.
  • I should go for a run.
  • This post is nearly as random as Ebby Ray's.
  • In one week, I will be post-call, DONE with the MICU and PACKING to prepare to head to Destin and then to McLean!! (Yay, vacation!!!)
  • I like vacation.
  • That's all I got.

8 comments:

Jesse said...

My kids love Gummy Vites! They like to get their own each night. Two nights ago, Isaiah grabbed three and stuffed them in his mouth before I could grab them, than ran into the living room and hid behind the couch! Don't knock the Flintstones!

yuan family said...

Thanks for the update Tara! I have WAY more free time than you for blogging!

Laura D said...

Are Tony and I the only ones who actually LOVE the chalky/crunchy Flinstones? Tony eats them like candy!!

TAV said...

Ugh. Yes, Laura, you and Tony are officially crazy. Flinstones make me want to barf. Gummy Vites, however, I could snack on! Isaiah's got it right! :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Finally a post.

A few notes:

1. I'll get to see your hair in a few days so I could care less if you put a picture up.

2. I'll see KITE RUNNER with you since I have read the book. Although I hear it is not that great :(

3. JB is on call on Sunday too!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, flintstone vitamins...gross.

Rachel and Hans said...

tara -

i'm going to be looking for DAILY blogs from FL! :-)

you are going to have SOO much fun!

TAV said...

obviously, i am not keeping up with the blogging enough to satisfy anyone here; wendi, i designate you the florida blogger extraordinaire, esp. during my visit!! i can't wait!!!