Thursday, July 2, 2026

FIFA Madness

 


We have never been big soccer fans. However, with the boys playing in the local youth league (and playing some Futsal), we've become more curious in recent years. I've never totally understood the appeal of low-scoring matches where one error or one score can determine a team's outcome (the games are full of lots of low-yield running). However, I've come to see how exciting soccer can be, particularly when late-game goals or penalty kicks decide outcomes (but I always feel bad for the goalie!). 

We've been watching FIFA World Cup games this summer this past week, and I was impressed by Penalty Kick wins including by Morocco (the boys now have Hakimi jerseys, courtesy of my parents and their recent visit) and Paraguay (against Germany). I have also been cheering on many of the African teams that made it to the "knockout" round of 32.  Senegal, where my sister Vanessa lives, lost a heartbreaker to Belgium yesterday.  I'm impressed by the U.S. Men's team, who is having a historic run (last night's red card on an accidental foul was absolutely ridiculous), as well as Norway with its Viking hero Erling Haaland. France looks very strong with its trio of Dembélé, Olise, and Mbappé, and we should never count out Messi (one of Iver's favorites) and the Argentinians who beat France in the final four years ago.


Who will win it this year?! 


No comments: