Thursday, June 20, 2024

Poké-mania

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but am not sure if I've blogged much about the kids' obsessions about Pokémon cards.  Iver received some cards more than a year or so ago, but his interest (as well as that of many of the boys at his school) has been renewed within the year, leading to teachers having to "ban" Pokémon cards during the school day because they're constantly getting traded and talked about... 

I was a collector of stickers, stamps, and more, but the Poké-mania is something that I really don't understand (Kelvin is a bit more familiar)! 

The kids talk incessantly about the characters, which cards are "valuable," and spend many hours per week re-organizing their card collections (needing binder upgrades, which they got, due to generous aunt Kat!), even staying up late /waking up early sometimes.  Iver spends his allowance money on TCG player and obtaining special cards. There is some trading, although "trades" have to be fair and agreed upon.

Niall also has been inspired to create to Poké-art, including "cards" made from moldable clay, and "books" which are quite impressive! 




I'm pretty sure reading all these cards has taught N how to read (!), so maybe it's not the worst hobby? 
I do wonder how long these cards will float around our house ... and what the future of their prized collections holds or how long they'll hold the kids' interest...

No comments: