We had another incredibly rainy weekend this past Saturday-Sunday. It feels as though it's been raining for weeks, and we've been having some flood watches, but (thankfully to my knowledge), no further local road closures.
I was planning to run a 10K race at Sue-Meg (formerly Patrick's Point) State Park in Trinidad with Jenna on Saturday morning, for which I was nervous as we obsessively were checking the week's forecast. However, due to the torrential rains, Six Rivers Running Club actually cancelled the event (well, postponed with future date TBD), which was slightly disappointing because we knew it'd mean a day trapped inside. However, it was literally POURING at race time, and as I'm a pretty fair-weather runner in general, I was secretly relieved! (I did get in a 6.5-mile replacement run during a dry period on Sunday, however).
In any case, the weekend was actually really relaxing. The kids are now at ages where they actually can entertain themselves for decent periods of time while we putter or do other house projects (or relax/read!). Iver is close to being trustworthy enough to be left home alone for periods of time (we think).
He has gotten really into cooking, baking, and this weekend his projects included entirely independently making crepes, waffles with a recently acquired thrift store waffle iron, as well as homemade pasta! I didn't let him use the crusty play-doh shape-maker as he requested, but he used flour, eggs, and his hands to craft some tortellini-like pasta, as well as strips (? like wide fettuccini) and bow-ties! (Truthfully, they didn't taste amazing, but it's the process and journey that counts and which impressed me!).
Niall was enthralled by a >1000 piece Lego Ninjago set that the Larsons gifted us for Christmas. Step-by step building the vehicles and figurines occupied many hours of his time.
I stayed in sweatpants and a robe most of the time at home, reading books and sports-watching (both NFL playoff football and the Australian Open Tennis have been on and highly entertaining).
While I missed the end of the Packers-49ers game putting kids to sleep, apparently the Niners had a great unlikely comeback and Kelvin is excited that they are on to the NFC Championship game next week!
We're glad the local thirsty outdoor plants are getting to drink and we made the best of our time indoors!

No comments:
Post a Comment