.
Pepper, who is partially blind and almost entirely deaf (we think) has a very impressive sense of smell, and has become increasingly naughtier in her old age.
When we're out of sight, or out of the house, she sniffs around, and tears through bags, backpacks, and really anything that has a whiff of food in it that is within her reach (even jumping onto furniture!).
A couple of months ago, I accidentally left a snack cabinet open, and found that she'd eaten about half a bag of peppermint bark! Knowing that chocolate is somewhat toxic to dogs, I thought, well... that's it. I probably killed the dog. But, after about 12 hours of a bloated belly, labored breathing, and violent (and very dark brown) vomiting, she recovered!
She's also gotten into things in our pantry, tearing through a brand new bag of kibble as well as some cups of kids' mac and cheese!
Cheese bandit needed a bath!
We've had various Christmas gifts in stages of wrapping stored in our office room. Kelvin had purchased a gift of liqueur chocolates for Lori, which was in a cardboard carton within another box. On Thursday, when I came home to walk Pepper over lunch (but after the walk), I discovered the carton ripped apart, with several foil-wrapped little chocolates missing. I notified Kelvin and he was shocked. "How is she?" he asked when he called in a panic. "Well, I didn't notice her stumbling around like a drunk dog during the walk if that's what you're asking!" I replied. (She actually was totally fine the rest of the day and overnight. And I haven't even seen foil in her poop....).
When I told the kids later in the day what Pepper had done while they were at school, Niall said, "Well, that's okay. Alcohol isn't too bad, since she's an adult."
Ha ha! An adult, but, in dog years, maybe the equivalent of a nonagenarian :) Naughty Canine, although she's still extremely cute and we will cherish these funny memories when she's gone. I wonder what she'll get her in her stocking this year (if she doesn't tear through it first) -- treats or coal?!




No comments:
Post a Comment