Sunday, May 28, 2023

Twenty Years a Spider Grad!

It's been twenty years since I graduation from the University of Richmond!   


I was pretty much a science and music nerd at Westhampton College (there was a huge lake that separated the girls' from the boys' side of the campus at that time) but I have fond memories (and wonderful lasting friendships) from my time as a Spider!  There was originally a paucity of digital evidence of my time there, but I dug up some photos that I think, at one point, my parents sent me and later, I scanned and then uploaded a whole bunch I found in albums!  I participated in a ton of musical ensembles (orchestra, band, pep band, chamber groups, and choir) and served on the Honor Council among studying all the time in Gottwald Science Center and not socializing that much except for with my fellow musicians and roommates :).

   I had the best roommate (for two years), Cathleen, who sent me these a few years ago:

Freshman Women Proclamation Night (Sept 1999)



Outside Lora Robins, the freshman women's dorm

Freshmen

Nerding out hard




Lora Robins A304 



Our little Christmas tree! 

Halloween 2000 with great friends Mindy and Laura

Mindy and Cathleen, dear friends to this day!

RC Formal 2000 with boyfriend, Justin

Parents' weekend in 2000



My junior year roommate, also Laura

Cannon Memorial Chapel/ Westhampton College



Pep band days, here with Jamie

Perkinson Recital Hall


2001 dance with Justin

Spring in 2001

Good friend Tony

and Laura (who married eachother in 2006)

Junior Ring Dance, a relic of Southern balls (2002)








2002 Music Recital with Mindy



Spring in Florida with Ahlstroms 2002

Bowling with roomies Mindy and friend Sadie

November 2022, 21st birthday

On-campus apartment living





Senior flute recital with Eva 





Spring break with Laura 2003



Grad! (I have a B.S. in biology with minors in music and chemistry)



My parents, sister, Godparents and Grandmother all came out for Commencement! 








With Mindy, my senior roommate and dear friend

with my apartment roomies: Sadie, Jenn, Mindy

Graduation with Laura

Playing flute at commencement



Laura and I traveled in Europe right after graduation.

We ate Italy out of gelato after graduation! 

Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin 

Bergen, Norway


Mindy and I saw each other a few times for hiking when she lived in Colorado and traveled internationally to Peru and Bolivia in 2009, which is when Kelvin and I got together. She (along with Laura) was a bridesmaid in our wedding in 2011.

    Summit of Mt. Oxford, a "fourteener," Colorado 2007


    Nazca, Peru, 2009 

Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia, 2009

Reuniting stateside in Jan 2020 (she now lives with her husband and Family in South Africa!).


My freshman-sophomore roommate Cathleen, a track star, was also a college bestie. We've seen each other many times since but not in a few years! 

2006 in Colorado





She made our amazing wedding cake in 2011 and then married Tim in 2012.  

I am far removed from Virginia/the East Coast, and don't have plans to attend the upcoming advertised 20th reunion but do remember my Richmond days and friends fondly. I wish I could connect with my people more often, unfortunately not possible with hurdles of time, work, family, and distance. I still can't believe it's been two decades! 

1 comment:

Eva @ Eva Bakes said...

Has it really been 20 years? I remember that recital like it was yesterday!