My sister-in-law, Katherine, texted me these cute twitter memes yesterday, which reminded us of our precocious Niall who has always been a chatty kid with a great vocabulary. Both of my kids complain so much about the dinners I prepare which is super frustrating to me; however, Niall is a bit more picky, and I'd welcome some new adjectives besides "gross" and "yucky."
However, advanced words can sometimes be tricky. For better or worse, my kids are very perceptive, have amazing memories, and as children of healthcare workers, they also know an awful lot about anatomy and physiology (as well as words) from discussions and library books. We feel strongly about them learning the actual words for anatomic parts and about how bodies work in (mostly?) age-appropriate ways.
A few weeks ago, I tried to go to the bathroom by myself (all moms know this can sometimes be a struggle). I asked Niall for some privacy and he came right back with, "But I saw your vagina last week!"
And this was our real dinner conversation at dinner on Thursday:
Niall: Papa, do you have sperm?
Kelvin: What? Do I have a spoon?
Niall: NO, I said, "SPERM!”
Kelvin: Sperm?! How do you know about sperm?
Niall: We read it in a book. About how babies are made. I have a good memory. Don’t you remember this?! Isn't sperm in your belly, Papa?
Me: Uh, not quite, son, but you may be remembering ovaries (and eggs) that live in women's abdominal/pelvic cavities...
I wonder what he'll be saying at five (and hope that he keeps this information to himself, out of the ears of other preschoolers, for now)...


No comments:
Post a Comment